Holts Summit, Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Winter cover that came with my AGP already sprung a leak when I took it off this year, so looking for a new one. Any suggestions? I tend to have to Install/Remove it myself due to wife's help. Not a huge budget, but also don't want to replace after 2 seasons again. Maybe recommendations for pumps to clear in spring while we are at it....

I've helped open/close many ABG pools over the years and the fancy covers lasted proportionately longer only sometimes. One falling branch or snag on year 2 did them in everytime.

I'd stalk Harbor Freight year round until tarps were on clearance and buy several to last the next 10 years. They come in several colors now too.

Take a look at Arctic Armour (believe it's the same as Blue wave) winter cover. Not very expensive and lasts about 3 years on our pools. Home Depot sells it and it can be delivered to your home. I forget if I get the 8 or 12 year warranty one (green color on top). The cover ysually delaminates and that is not covered by warranty.

Take a look at Arctic Armour (believe it's the same as Blue wave) winter cover. Not very expensive and lasts about 3 years on our pools. Home Depot sells it and it can be delivered to your home. I forget if I get the 8 or 12 year warranty one (green color on top). The cover ysually delaminates and that is not covered by warranty.
Ordered this one from Home Depot, for the price, as long as it lasts 1 winter... Winter Pool Cover

Ordered this one from Home Depot, for the price, as long as it lasts 1 winter... Winter Pool Cover
Hopefully you'll get a few seasons from it. Unfortunately winter and solar covers are a disposable item even though they can be expensive. I do notice even though I suggested Arctic Amour they are not the same as they were from years ago ... actually nothing is the same as they were years ago. I did have a warranty claim with them on our old pool and they made good which shocked me to no end, thought I'd get a reject letter. Our first pool cover lasted 1 season as well, it was part of the pool package back then, second winter it ripped and opened a swamp pool ... definitely no fun!

I have bought cheap covers, I have bought extremely expensive covers. I saw very little difference.

I now consider them disposable items, buy the cheapest I can find, and if they last more than 2 winters, I consider that to be extra. I HATE throwing out so much plastic, but I have never found one that lasts.

The one I am replacing is the one I got with the pool, it lasted 2 winters, the hole is small, but I don't want to open a swamp. It was supposed to be an upgraded one with the $400.00 package we bought (included our Dolphin vacuum, so it was actually a good deal). The package was the Dolphin, an upgraded winter cover (no real info on the warranty etc.) and a step up pole for skimmer/brush etc. well worth it since the Dolphin model sells for $500. Not feeling hurt that the cover ripped. I guess I should have added the question of how everyone pumps the water off the top, I have a submersible pump and a small transfer pump, but neither is made for an AGP cover. I am thinking of getting a new one as I had a really hard time this year getting the water off due to having more leaves that blew onto it from storms (no trees close) I do appreciate the input though.

Reactions: Newdude
I used (2) 3/8 clear tube in a 4' piece 3/4 inch pvc. Clear so you can see the water coming. Long enough to get water away from the pool. I cut a 25' length in to two pieces. Suction stops when the water is gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used the cheapest cover option from Donehey's, figuring I'd toss it rather than mess with cleaning, drying, folding, storing. Hate filling up landfills unnecessarily, but I also know plastic covers like these don't store/age well. I used the included cable/ratchet set up to secure, but then added a Harbor Freight spring clamp to each horizontal frame section. We live in the city, with smaller lots and large, dense trees, so we don't get a huge amount of wind. I always tried to leave an inch or so of water on the cover to prevent it from flapping.

Also used the cheapest pump from them (you can somewhat see it in the photo). Next time, I'll get a automatic pump so I don't have to stand out and watch it - it takes longer to pump even a smaller cover like mine than I ever imagined.

I also used one float from Donehey's. I know others have had issues, but I lightly filled it according to the instructions, tied it in two spots, and it held up all winter. SLAMed the pool, lowered the water level, added the float, covered, and brought the pump/filter into the basement. When I opened it up this Spring, I was actually shocked - and quite happy - that the water was crystal clear!
IMG_0217.JPGIMG_0220.JPG

Reactions: Newdude
I use a sump pump on the cover. I get it started and then unplug it and let it gravity drain unless I'm in a hurry to drain it (not often). I also use it in the spring to clean the cover with all the Crud in the water. Works pretty well

Reactions: Decoy205
Agree about covers being disposable. Two seasons is good for most covers. Make sure the full diameter of the cover is big enough to get you the extra slack when weight is added to the cover. Last year I bought a 21’ cover from inyo and it was only 24’ in diameter. Most other places they are 25’. The water was very low after I drained below the skimmer and return and I did not have enough slack. Luckily the winter was mild and all was ok. I will be looking for a 25’ cover this year.

For the pump I used this one from Amazon and I was very happy with it! Just take it out when the winter frost sets in. The return in spring and you’ll have a nice dry cover before opening.

9LnRFKA.jpg

Acquaer 1/4 HP Automatic Swimming Pool Cover Pump, 115 V Submersible Pump with 3/4” Check Valve Adapter & 25ft Power Cord, 2250 GPH Water Removal for Pool, Hot Tubs, Rooftops, Water Beds and more Amazon.com

I also have a submersible pump for draining below the lines for winter.

I use this pump - 1/3 HP Submersible Utility Pump 2000 GPH

I also use the 1" hose from HF on it - 1 in. x 25 ft. PVC Discharge Hose

Using a discharge hose (and 1" one at that) is a lot easier to manage in the cold, and is also faster, than a garden hose. I use 4 of them connected to make a 100' run.

The only issue I have with it is it was getting clogged with leaves. I made a sort of basket out of hardware cloth to go around it to keep the leaves about 6" away from the pump on all sides.

Has anyone else noticed the price of the cheap winter covers seem unusually high this year. the ones I'm looking at seem to be about 50% higher in price than in previous years. Also, several places I've looked are out of supply for several sizes. Is this just because they are not in stock yet or is there some kind of shortage. I know lately prices have went up for almost everything, but it seems the prices have really went up for the covers just since last year.

thanks,
cruiser310

Reactions: Decoy205
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.