Winter cover quality question

Nov 24, 2016
Bergen county nj
Hi all,

It’s time to replace my winter cover. Original cover that the pool builder sold me lasted 4 yrs and this past year was letting dirty water through to the pool.

I hated cleaning and storing the cover so thought I would get a cheaper cover and just throw it out at end of season.

I got the one in the link below which arrived today and is definitely thinner than the one I had.

Anyone have experience with a cheaper cover?

I don’t care if it only lasts a year or two, I just don’t want it to let dirty rain and leaf water through.

Thanks

No experience with this cover but the cover I usually buy gets me about 3 to 4 years before needing replacement. I look at the condition of the cover as I'm taking it off in the spring and determine then if it can make another year.

If you're looking for only 1 year use then probably any cover will do. I only had 1 cover that was useless in less than a year and that was with my original pool 20+ years ago as part as the winterizing package at the time the pool was bought.

Thanks Vinny, yeah I’m going to give it a shot. This was like 50 bucks and the best ones are 150. I figured I’ll try using the cheap one every year and spare myself the hassle of spreading it out on the driveway, cleaning it, folding it etc.
The reason it’s a hassle is cause you need an extra pair of hands and my wife and two teenage daughters are not much help lol

No experience with this cover but the cover I usually buy gets me about 3 to 4 years before needing replacement. I look at the condition of the cover as I'm taking it off in the spring and determine then if it can make another year.

If you're looking for only 1 year use then probably any cover will do. I only had 1 cover that was useless in less than a year and that was with my original pool 20+ years ago as part as the winterizing package at the time the pool was bought.

If you're looking for only 1 year use then probably any cover will do. I only had 1 cover that was useless in less than a year and that was with my original pool 20+ years ago as part as the winterizing package at the time the pool was bough in

Thanks Vinny, yeah I’m going to give it a shot. This was like 50 bucks and the best ones are 150. I figured I’ll try using the cheap one every year and spare myself the hassle of spreading it out on the driveway, cleaning it, folding it etc.
The reason it’s a hassle is cause you need an extra pair of hands and my wife and two teenage daughters are not much help lol
What I have found is to drain the pool and fill the pool with the cover on. On my last pool and probably my new pool I drained the pool below the return for winterizing. I use a sump pump for cover draining and used it for draining the pool down as well.

What I found for us is since the water is higher it's easier to float the cover on and off.

If I understood you I do similar, however I never actually drain. I have a skimmer cover and then a return plug that lets you blow out the line without draining.
My old pool had a physical plate to put onto the skimmer with screws which is not the way things are done today. I bought an Aquador faceplate with a "Tupperware " lid that I'm using for the first time this winter. For the return I have a screw in seal from the old pool that I plan on using. I see you're in NJ too and obviously had success with not draining as has others but I am extremely concerned about winter damage. At this point I don't have the confidence that a thin plastic seal is not going to pop or something happening to it to mess up the pool... it's all in my head!🤣

Hi all,

It’s time to replace my winter cover. Original cover that the pool builder sold me lasted 4 yrs and this past year was letting dirty water through to the pool.

I hated cleaning and storing the cover so thought I would get a cheaper cover and just throw it out at end of season.

I got the one in the link below which arrived today and is definitely thinner than the one I had.

Anyone have experience with a cheaper cover?

I don’t care if it only lasts a year or two, I just don’t want it to let dirty rain and leaf water through.

Thanks

I buy a cheap cover and throw it out every year. In the past, I used to hose it off, let it dry, then fold it and hump it up to the storage space in the attic over my garage, not an easy task with a 18x33 cover !! Spending $100 every year for a new one is worth it especially since I am 75,

Reactions: Maurino17
My old pool had a physical plate to put onto the skimmer with screws which is not the way things are done today. I bought an Aquador faceplate with a "Tupperware " lid that I'm using for the first time this winter. For the return I have a screw in seal from the old pool that I plan on using. I see you're in NJ too and obviously had success with not draining as has others but I am extremely concerned about winter damage. At this point I don't have the confidence that a thin plastic seal is not going to pop or something happening to it to mess up the pool... it's all in my head!🤣

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.