Will an intex ultra frame xtr liner fit on older ultra frame? In other words is the top hole in the liner the same size or larger on xtr?

Feb 28, 2013
Florida Space Coast
I have an Intex 22' x 52" round ultra frame, bought in 2019. The liner is (Florida) sun damaged, but of course it's discontinued 🙄 Intex does have 24' x 52" replacement liner for ultraframe xtr. I kept several of the better leg poles and support beams from my previous pool, also round 52" so I can add two sections to make it 24 feet. I've tried to figure out the difference between ultraframe and ultraframe xtr beams, but as far as I can tell they're structurally the same. So, my question is if anyone else has put a replacement xtr liner on ultraframe frame? The only way I can see that it might not work is if they made the tube at the top where the beams slide through, smaller.

I'm not sure how you can make a 22 foot pool into a 24 foot pool, aren't the beams and T's built differently for every pool diameter?
In any event, I have the same dilemma, I have a 14X42 round Ultra, and they discontinued the liner. The Intex rep told me over the phone that both liners are different. My pool is from 2018, and some of the poles and beams are rusted and becoming a safety factor, so I am just going to toss the pool at the end of the season and get a new XTR now while its on sale for end of season, and keep it till next year. I might even consider getting a second liner too just to have it.

I have an Intex 22' x 52" round ultra frame, bought in 2019. The liner is (Florida) sun damaged, but of course it's discontinued 🙄 Intex does have 24' x 52" replacement liner for ultraframe xtr. I kept several of the better leg poles and support beams from my previous pool, also round 52" so I can add two sections to make it 24 feet. I've tried to figure out the difference between ultraframe and ultraframe xtr beams, but as far as I can tell they're structurally the same. So, my question is if anyone else has put a replacement xtr liner on ultraframe frame? The only way I can see that it might not work is if they made the tube at the top where the beams slide through, smaller.

The two aren’t compatible, if I recall.

Some have used an overlap liner to cover their worn out Intex liner. Do a search of the forum - there are a few threads about it.

Reactions: debrrose
I'm not sure how you can make a 22 foot pool into a 24 foot pool, aren't the beams and T's built differently for every pool diameter?
In any event, I have the same dilemma, I have a 14X42 round Ultra, and they discontinued the liner. The Intex rep told me over the phone that both liners are different. My pool is from 2018, and some of the poles and beams are rusted and becoming a safety factor, so I am just going to toss the pool at the end of the season and get a new XTR now while its on sale for end of season, and keep it till next year. I might even consider getting a second liner too just to have it.
The t joint 12427 is the same part for similar sized ultraframe pools (not xtr, they changed the design), and the legs and beams are the same length, shape, diameter between my current 22' and old 20' pool, which is why I think the frame could be modified. The question I have for anyone who knows about both ultraframe and ultraframe xtr is about the liner, specifically the diameter of the tubular hole at the top where the horizontal beam slides through. If the xtr liner hole is equal size or larger then the old beams could fit; if they made the tubular hole smaller around then it will not fit.
Your comment about extra liner sounds like a very good idea since that seems to be the part that gets discontinued. If you do go with your plan for a new xtr on sale, could you possibly take a peek at that top hole and update whether the old ultra poles would fit through?

Reactions: Snarf
The t joint 12427 is the same part for similar sized ultraframe pools (not xtr, they changed the design), and the legs and beams are the same length, shape, diameter between my current 22' and old 20' pool, which is why I think the frame could be modified. The question I have for anyone who knows about both ultraframe and ultraframe xtr is about the liner, specifically the diameter of the tubular hole at the top where the horizontal beam slides through. If the xtr liner hole is equal size or larger then the old beams could fit; if they made the tubular hole smaller around then it will not fit.
Your comment about extra liner sounds like a very good idea since that seems to be the part that gets discontinued. If you do go with your plan for a new xtr on sale, could you possibly take a peek at that top hole and update whether the old ultra poles would fit through?
Update to this, being a tinkering sort of person who is uninclined to just believe company reps who want to sell me things...
I have had several types and sizes of Intex pools, and old parts in bins because they might be useful sometime. I have observed that the part numbers apply to multiple different size pools, and the number of legs is proportional to the diameter, at least with round pools - which means I could get a larger or smaller liner and reuse the existing frame parts. 18' pools have 18 legs, 20' have 20 legs, 22' has 22 legs, 24' have 24 legs etc.
Everything I could find online looked like ultraframe and ultraframe xtr frame parts are very very similar if not identical, despite being called "not compatible." The only question was whether the old beams would fit through the new liner. So, being my stubborn self, I ordered an xtr beam and a pole connector. They came today and I took them out to the frame of the old pool. Honestly they are almost identical, with xtr being *very slightly* smaller, like a couple millimeters. Both sizes of legs and horizontal beams will go on both connectors. Because the old frame is larger my concern was the xtr liner not going onto the ultra poles. However, being such a close match, I'll get a liner, put it in the sun to warm and soften, then use talc to put the poles in. I'll update next spring whether it all really works.

Reactions: ShMiRa
Update to this, being a tinkering sort of person who is uninclined to just believe company reps who want to sell me things...
I have had several types and sizes of Intex pools, and old parts in bins because they might be useful sometime. I have observed that the part numbers apply to multiple different size pools, and the number of legs is proportional to the diameter, at least with round pools - which means I could get a larger or smaller liner and reuse the existing frame parts. 18' pools have 18 legs, 20' have 20 legs, 22' has 22 legs, 24' have 24 legs etc.
Everything I could find online looked like ultraframe and ultraframe xtr frame parts are very very similar if not identical, despite being called "not compatible." The only question was whether the old beams would fit through the new liner. So, being my stubborn self, I ordered an xtr beam and a pole connector. They came today and I took them out to the frame of the old pool. Honestly they are almost identical, with xtr being *very slightly* smaller, like a couple millimeters. Both sizes of legs and horizontal beams will go on both connectors. Because the old frame is larger my concern was the xtr liner not going onto the ultra poles. However, being such a close match, I'll get a liner, put it in the sun to warm and soften, then use talc to put the poles in. I'll update next spring whether it all really works.
Update after testing the old beams in the new liner:

As I suspected, Ultraframe and Ultraframe XTR beams and liners are in fact COMPATIBLE. I got an XTR t-joint and horizontal beam; they fit together with old frame parts and liner. I got an XTR liner; old frame parts fit just fine.

The horizontal beams from an Ultraframe pool slip right into an Ultraframe XTR liner.

If I had to guess, I'd say the company is just trying to get more money by calling them non-compatible.

Thank you for doing this research on the liner compatibility. The manufacturer liners for the Intex 22 x 52 Ultra Frame have been “out of stock” since before COVID. I considered expanding the frame to a 24’, but all my research said that even though the part numbers are the same, the degree of angle on the Ts would not allow you to complete the circle to a 24’ without tension on the frame joint or an offset. Please follow-up if/when you assemble the frame with the expansion.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.