Will algae settle to bottom using only bleach?

h0va4life

Jul 23, 2020
Atlanta, GA
I am hoping to vacuum to waste by removing the filter and disconnecting the return if the algae settles to the bottom. I removed the filter in order to prevent filter clog up during the algae cleaning process - i have a cheap above ground pool (~1400 gallons of water) from big box store that has just the little dingy filters. I unfortunately got too busy to maintain thus the water was dark green.

I lowered pH using muriatic acid and poured bleach ~25, now water is a much lighter green color. I am maintaining the FC at high level. Do I need to lower pH before adding more bleach once FC goes to zero? I have some clarifier laying around I will also use that once I can vacuum things up as well.

Read our recommendations for maintaining a small seasonal pool.

It says:

If the water begins turn cloudy or greenish, or pool the surfaces becomes slippery an algae bloom is likely starting to take hold. It is difficult (but not impossible) to resolve an algae bloom with the equipment included in these types of pools. Often, the easiest and quickest solution is to drain the pool, scrub the sides and bottom thoroughly, and start over. If you choose that route, start over with the water chemistry just as you did the first time.

Reactions: h0va4life
Read our recommendations for maintaining a small seasonal pool.

It says:

If the water begins turn cloudy or greenish, or pool the surfaces becomes slippery an algae bloom is likely starting to take hold. It is difficult (but not impossible) to resolve an algae bloom with the equipment included in these types of pools. Often, the easiest and quickest solution is to drain the pool, scrub the sides and bottom thoroughly, and start over. If you choose that route, start over with the water chemistry just as you did the first time.
I hate the thought of wasting water but it is what it is...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.