Why would a pressure gauge read 0

I tried that Dave and saw no change in the air in the basket. I also read where you could put foam shaving cream on the fittings and watch for where it is sucked in. Did that and did not see anything. I am focusing on one of the unions right now. I took it apart this morning and put some pool lube on the gasket and also lubricated the threads with a water soluble lubricant to see if it would help bottom out the joint when I screwed it together. I put it back together and am waiting an hour before I test it. Not sure it is true, but I read on the web that the pool lube will set up and work better if it is allowed to sit awhile before water is applied.

Yes it read 0 even with the LQ shut off. I have taken apart the union I was most suspicious of and applied pool lube to the gasket as well as water soluble lube to the threads and tightened it back down. This stopped the major air leak and as Dave suggested the pressure went back up to 9 :-D I still have some bubbles forming in the top of the basket and can see some air in the LQ line. I don't know if this is left over air working it's way through the system or new air leaking in.

How did you finally get your LQ to stop leaking air?

Txmat said:
How did you finally get your LQ to stop leaking air?

My problems were mostly cheap fittings. On some connections I changed fittings 4 times before I finally got one that didn't leak. I also had a leaking needle valve and a bad flow indicator. The first flow indicator had an out of round connection on one side - egg shaped by about .06" and that nearly drove me crazy until I mic'd it. I should have noticed it sooner because the fittings were very hard to get started on that side and were hard to screw in. There is a small black plastic cap on one side of the indicator and that was loose on the second one. That nearly drove me crazy as well because I didn't notice it for over a day.

Well, my pressure is back down to 5 and I am still getting air into my basket. Not as much as before, but still some coming in. It seems I may be getting some air in at my needle valve. It has barbed connectors and I put pool lube on them before sliding the tube on. Is there anything else I can use to seal the connection? I have some Rectorseal Tplus2 thread sealant, what about using it?

Txmat said:
Well, my pressure is back down to 5 and I am still getting air into my basket. Not as much as before, but still some coming in. It seems I may be getting some air in at my needle valve. It has barbed connectors and I put pool lube on them before sliding the tube on. Is there anything else I can use to seal the connection? I have some Rectorseal Tplus2 thread sealant, what about using it?

I would start by making sure the connectors are polypropylene not nylon. I'm convinced that was a large part of my problem. If you put a fairly heavy coat of silicone grease or o-ring lube on the barbed end they usually do not leak. If you have any doubts about the barb you can put a small hose clamp on and tighten it down. Most of the problem comes from the threaded end. I would first try putting on about 5 or 6 full wraps of teflon tape around the threads and tighten it up tight. If that does not work get a new connector and try again. If it still leaks your needle valve will have a packing nut under the adjustment knob. Tighten down on the packing nut and try again. If it still leaks get a third connector and try again. If it still leaks the last option is to use PVC glue on both male and female threads and seal them off. If it still leaks after that your needle valve has a leak most likely around the stem and is now useful as a paper weight. There may be a repair kit available, but I haven't found one.

The best thread sealant I know of is called "Blue Monster" thread sealant. Have no idea why it's called blue monster because it's not blue it's a muddy looking off white. I don't like using the stuff because it is so messy. I end up getting the gunk all over me and the work. If you use it put enough material on the threads to completely cover them so that you cannot see the thread tops. Then screw the connector in tight and let it set for at least an hour - overnight is even better. The blue monster is a lot like using PVC glue. When it sets up you won't be able to unscrew the fittings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.