Why various LSI calculators are SO different?

nofears

May 26, 2023
Lake Havasu AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hello, so I have been really trying to achieve a good water balance...but each LSI calculator I use produces vastly different results using the same parameters...It is very frustrating.

I've used Orendas, Pentairs, the NPC app from Bob Lowry, and also have done manual calculations using Bob Lowrys LSI formula that has factors correcting for both CYA and Borates...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello, so I have been really trying to achieve a good water balance...but each LSI calculator I use produces vastly different results using the same parameters...It is very frustrating.

I've used Orendas, Pentairs, the NPC app from Bob Lowry, and also have done manual calculations using Bob Lowrys LSI formula that has factors correcting for both CYA and Borates...

Any advice would be appreciated.
Pool water quality isn’t standardized which is why there’s so many variations of opinions. Try using the TFP CSI here instead of LSI.

Careful with that Orenda and Lowry approach to pool care. They put WAY TOO MUCH emphasis on saturation balance with little or no scientific basis to support their out-sized claims. Pool water, surfaces and equipment can happily exist in a wide range of saturation values. If you have an SWG, then you should keep your saturation balance on the negative side to ensure that you are minimizing scale formation inside the cell. But, other than that, CSI/LSI should be fairly easy to maintain without much fuss.

If you follow the TFPC Method of pool care and use the PoolMath smartphone App, all of this can be made super-easy and, rather than wringing your hands over trying to achieve some fabled "perfect" balance, you can just wring out your pool towels after enjoying a nice swim.

Some people report that their CSI calculations became easier once they became a supporter, but I don’t really know why that would make a difference.

Maybe try that to see if it helps.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly 🤔 and/or how any calculation would change if I supported something or not...🤷‍♂️...I'm just trying to gain some understanding is all...

Reactions: JamesW
I'm not sure what you mean exactly 🤔 and/or how any calculation would change if I supported something or not...🤷‍♂️...I'm just trying to gain some understanding is all...
Yeah, that’s the problem with anecdotal evidence; it is not statistically or scientifically supported.

Sometimes people assume a correlation and a causation where none exists.

Even if there is a correlation, that does not mean that there is a causation.

I guess it is just one of the mysteries of life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.