mypurpleplace

Aug 20, 2023
Hills of Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I finally got my kit and I’ve read through it all. And I’m running in and out back and forth between the pool and test kit. So why am I testing indoors is my question. I have an outdoor covered porch. No sun, completely shaded with an outdoor sink that would make this so much easier and i wouldn’t smash my finger in the door again. Why is testing indoors suggested?

No need to. Only test that light matters is CYA. And that should be done outside, bright sunlight, etc.

Why are you running in and out back and forth?
Collect a large enough sample of pool water to complete all the tests. Use a clean plastic bottle to collect the water sample from about 18" below the pool water surface.

I do all my testing indoors - I even mix the pool water with R-0013 for the CYA test indoors, then take the sample and test tube outdoors to quickly do the actual CYA test. It's no fun being outdoors - even in the shade - when it's 155+ degrees outside.

Next time you're near the pool store, stop by for one of their free water test bottles for your testing or use an empty clean water bottle to collect your sample.

Last edited:
Why is testing indoors suggested?
I don't recall seeing that suggestion in the instructions, but it makes sense for those of us who don't have an outdoor porch/sink like yours: Indoor testing provides consistent lighting, a comfortable place to work, and a sink in which to dispose of test solutions and rinse equipment. And indoor testing also implies indoor test-kit storage, with protection from extreme temperatures that can degrade the test reagents.

Reactions: proavia

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bring in a large enough pool water sample to do all your testing indoors. It'll make your life simpler :):)
I wondered if I could do that. But wasn’t sure if that was a no no. Thank you for that an
I don't recall seeing that suggestion in the instructions, but it makes sense for those of us who don't have an outdoor porch/sink like yours: Indoor testing provides consistent lighting, a comfortable place to work, and a sink in which to dispose of test solutions and rinse equipment. And indoor testing also implies indoor test-kit storage, with protection from extreme temperatures that can degrade the test reagents.ar
ok. I was wondering if the sun, temperature effected it. I opened my kit today when it arrived and had a slight PTSD moment from 11th grade Chemistry, lol 😂. I needed a personal tutor to help me that year. I have math dyslexia so these formulas are taking me some time as I have to read them twice to make sure my numbers are correct. But I have had algae this week and my chlorine is so high that it was orange colored on the test. I did the first set of tests. FC, CC and TC. But closed it up after that.

Attachments

• IMG_3837.jpeg
    IMG_3837.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 10
Weather permitting I test on my patio- I haven’t seen the recommendation to test indoors. You should store the kit indoors in a climate controlled dark area though.
The ph test is invalid at fc levels above 10ppm so wait until fc falls to check that.
The SLAM Process is required for algae & it is recommended to lower ph to 7.2 before beginning for this reason.
Do not bother with the OTO yellow drop test (it’s only for intermittent checks at low chlorine levels) it only measures TC.
Stick with the fas/dpd test (powder) for fc & cc readings separately.

Reactions: mypurpleplace
I use a giant syringe to suck up enough water for all my tests, then go do them indoors (except I do CYA outside in sunlight). Too hot outside!

I think I read somewhere to do PH first if doing this way? Or I dreamed it? Don’t remember why.

Reactions: Mdragger88
pH and FC are the quickest to degrade in sample, and should be the first two tests. No need to rush, just do them first.
I may not have much of a memory, but I stick to a process whether or not I remember why! 😂

Reactions: proavia and Newdude
I’m also in the “test indoors by a sink” camp. Just personal preference. I collect a water sample in one of those bike water bottles and then bring it inside to squirt the desired amounts into the test cylinder. I got a bunch of the bike bottles free over the years — they give them away at various events. You might have a few way up on a top kitchen cabinet shelf already lol. If not, they’re cheap enough and will last forever. Stansport_ 214 21 Ounce Bike Bottle - Walmart.com

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.