Why does a in-floor cleaning system need a second pump?

Jun 5, 2017
California
Hello,

I am planning on getting a new pool and I am interested in a in-floor cleaning system. However, I've read that there is a second pump necessary and I wanted to ask why. There should be already one for the skimmer and the water jets, why is that one not enough?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

Most in-floor systems that I have seen on this forum only have one pump.

But I have also seen that more than half of these systems seem to require an additional floor cleaner (robot or automatic) to keep them clean so I have to ask, why bother with an in-floor. In-floors also require higher flow rates and pressure which mean $$$$ when operating a pump. Not a good choice for CA. If I were you, I would put my money into a decent robot cleaner and save on energy costs and repairs.

Agree with Mark on both, all they systems I have seen only require the main pump. If there is a manufacture out there that requires a booster it is likely a velocity vs volume thing. Main pumps are great for volume of water but only good at producing velocity, booster pumps just the opposite low volume high velocity (think pressure washer vs normal hose spray nozzle) . Robot is a much more economical option, no install cost, much lower operating cost, much easier and likely less expensive repair/replacement cost over the life of the unit. Win, Win, Win

The quantity and location of nozzles are based on an engineering analysis of your particular pool, and a certain water flow (i.e. pressure head) is required to make the system work as designed. Well-designed IFC systems have dedicated pumps for optimum performance. This keeps the filtration loop separation from the floor-cleaning loop, so there is no variable pressure drop as the filter media get dirty. Right now, I'm running my filter/SWG pump 6 hours per day, but my IFC pump only runs for 1.5 hours each day, which is sufficient to keep the bottom of my pool completely clean. I'm 100% happy with my Paramount PCC2000 system.

As a satisfied customer, I am also a strong advocate of these systems...as long as they are properly designed. Unhappy folks fall into 2 categories: They either don't know how the system is supposed to work (there are a few counterintuitive particularities in normal operation), or they are unfortunate victims of a poorly designed system. The additional pump is definitely an indicator of a well-designed system.

And then there is the convenience factor. Once a week I empty the basket in the debris collector, which can be accessed from a skimmer-type cover at my pool deck. I don't have to put in and remove a mechanical roving cleaner when we want to use the pool, and the increased mixing ability allows me to rapidly dilute chemicals as I add them. As for durability, there is a lifetime warranty on nozzles (which can be user-replaced in about 2 minutes), and the manifold has very few moving parts that can be quickly and cheaply replaced.

To succinctly answer your question: If you want the IFC, the extra pump is a necessary requirement for optimum performance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.