Why do most pump / plumbing installations not have covers in the USA ?

PJinFrance

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2023
Dordogne, France
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi Folks,

I am a brit living in France. In the UK and here in France all our pump / plumbing installs are in sheds / buildings to protect them from the weather - Why do i not see any installs covered in the USA ? Is it a regulation or something ?

Just wondered, surely keeping things covered / sheltered would be beneficial to the longevity of the equipment.

I am interested in your responses - Thank you !

Hi Folks,

I am a brit living in France. In the UK and here in France all our pump / plumbing installs are in sheds / buildings to protect them from the weather - Why do i not see any installs covered in the USA ? Is it a regulation or something ?

Just wondered, surely keeping things covered / sheltered would be beneficial to the longevity of the equipment.

I am interested in your responses - Thank you !
Ours was in the weather uncovered for 20 years which seems to be longer than the life expectancy of the equipment so it may just be that it’s unnecessary.

Reactions: Newdude
Personal preference really. In the grand scheme of things, pool equipment is designed to be outside and weather resistant. Some of us cover equipment to take the brutal heat or other elements off the pad if we can. Many also paint their plumbing for UV protection.

full

It can be a major driver to cost too. When people build pools around here, often the equipment is the last thing they think about and PBs rarely offer to build any kind of enclosure. Even a simple wood framed structure could add a lot to the bottom line of a pool build and so many people will forgo that and simply assume “they’ll get to it later”. “Later” rarely ever comes. Another factor is convenience. If you cover or enclose equipment then you also need to provide a means of access. No one wants to have crawl around on the ground to work on things or make upgrades. Finally, out of sight/out of mind. When something is enclosed in a space where you can’t see it, you tend to forget about it. Equipment could start to show early visual signs of breakdown but you’ll never know because you’re not looking at it.

I have plans to build an enclosure around my equipement. I have a friend that does pool equipment replacement and I am always surprised that most of what he starts with is a mess. By the time he gets involved something usually been leaking and everything is a muddy/swampy mess and usually needs a regrading and pavers and/or gravel installed before repairs and or complete replumb is done. Also seems like every equipment pad is not very servicable either.

While there are typically no building code rules requiring equipment enclosures, many modern home communities are in Homeowner Associations (HOA’s). Often times an HOA will have rules that require outdoor equipment to at least be situated behind a screen wall or block wall and away from view from common areas. There may also be instances where you need a screen wall if one neighbor can view the equipment from their yard. There could also be noise requirements as well. So sometimes homeowners will have to put extra funds into making sure the equipment pad confirms to any aesthetic rules set by an HOA covenant.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting to see all those differing covers - it was just that i have been watching a guy on youtube servicing pools in San Diego and none of the pools he looks after have any kind of covers - open to the elements.

Quoting our municipal code:
Any new pool mechanical equipment or replacement equipment (requiring replacement of more than fifty percent of the value of existing pool equipment) shall be enclosed in a block wall or similar solid wall structure high enough to dampen the noise from the pool equipment.
So for me by the time we had built a block wall around the equipment it was "might as well put a roof on it as well and keep the rain off".

Dordogne France is on the 45° N line of latitude. In the USA, that’s the equivalent of the far Northern United - Oregon, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. Those area of the US would have very short pool seasons and anyone with in a pool in those areas would be winterizing their pools and likely either covering equipment or removing equipment at the end of the season. Most of the US sits in latitudes lower than Europe so our weather patterns are quite a bit different.

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.