Who's building it and how much?

MartinK, I must say this is the nicest pool I have ever seen. For as grand as it is, it seems to fit in perfectly with the surroundings. Must have been so much fun to plan!

Impressive Qingguy. What about permits and HOA approvals - did you have to go through all of those? Inspections etc?

I saw a website bluepools.com that helps owner build in three states but they are not available in Houston. Pretty comprehensive support and they charge around $ 2500 to $ 4000 as a fee which includes drawings and getting trade quotes. Savings are supposedly 30 to 50%.

Has anyone used this firm before and if so, please post your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Impressive Qingguy. What about permits and HOA approvals - did you have to go through all of those? Inspections etc?

I saw a website bluepools.com that helps owner build in three states but they are not available in Houston. Pretty comprehensive support and they charge around $ 2500 to $ 4000 as a fee which includes drawings and getting trade quotes. Savings are supposedly 30 to 50%.

Has anyone used this firm before and if so, please post your experience.

Thanks in advance.
HOA approval was a piece of cake, submitted my plans and the HOA form, took me 10 minutes. Permitting was easy as well, I was in and out in 20 minutes on a Friday afternoon; going in prepared with solid documents from your designer and structural engineer helps here. I know a guy who had to go back 6 times to get his permit. I have a solid design guy who can make this process painless.

Inspections for me were a bit dicey, I failed my first one because my steel guy didn't put enough steel in one area, he came back and fixed it the next morning and I passed. Second inspection guy was going to fail me because I didn't have my equipment bolted down to my pad, said as long as I agreed to fix it he'd pass me. Called my plumber and he said he'd never seen that and that the inspector must have been filling in for someone. My city has a checklist (I assume others do as well) that you can review prior to each inspection.

As far as working with a company like blue pools I really don't see the need to spend the extra money. It's pretty easy to get a list of subs in your area, work with good subs, post questions here and people are more than willing to answer them and I think you're good to go.

HOA approval was a piece of cake, submitted my plans and the HOA form, took me 10 minutes. Permitting was easy as well, I was in and out in 20 minutes on a Friday afternoon; going in prepared with solid documents from your designer and structural engineer helps here. I know a guy who had to go back 6 times to get his permit. I have a solid design guy who can make this process painless.

Inspections for me were a bit dicey, I failed my first one because my steel guy didn't put enough steel in one area, he came back and fixed it the next morning and I passed. Second inspection guy was going to fail me because I didn't have my equipment bolted down to my pad, said as long as I agreed to fix it he'd pass me. Called my plumber and he said he'd never seen that and that the inspector must have been filling in for someone. My city has a checklist (I assume others do as well) that you can review prior to each inspection.

As far as working with a company like blue pools I really don't see the need to spend the extra money. It's pretty easy to get a list of subs in your area, work with good subs, post questions here and people are more than willing to answer them and I think you're good to go.

QingGuy - Folks like you make this forum such a valuable resource - thank you. I have to look for your pool build link and read through the progress ( assuming it is here somewhere :) )

Come on up to New England, pricing for labor is much higher and so is pricing, the builds also have to deal with a lot of frosts, that complicates matters. I am up around $100K now, but that includes $12K for a fence, $30K or so for Pavers/Wall (Not done yet, this is actually what I am hoping the price will be, I got the stone for cost so this is actually REALLY cheap up this way), and many options. The pools up here tend to be bigger due to larger lots as well. I do not see many New pools around my area smaller then 20'x38' or so.

I agree with Martin, my kids are young, they would enjoy a $40K pool just as much, its all relative.

What really sucks for me is I am pretty sure I will be relocating for work, I just found out a month or so ago. It will be a sad day to let this go.

Agreed Carnut! I don't know what the deal is here. Seems like we have the most expensive pricing of all locations. Likely due to short swimming season and limited demand.

I'm north of $100K and still not done... Ouch

Yup, Massachusetts is an expensive place to build a pool. We are nearing the end and with landscaping are close to 110. I love my builder and am so happy with the process this time around. Sorry to hear you have to leave your new pool, Carnut. The good thing is now you're a build expert!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yup, Massachusetts is an expensive place to build a pool. We are nearing the end and with landscaping are close to 110. I love my builder and am so happy with the process this time around. Sorry to hear you have to leave your new pool, Carnut. The good thing is now you're a build expert!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We will build another where ever we go, still won't know for sure where I am transferring for another 6 months or so.

If it's Down south $100K will go a lot further then up here, that's for sure.

Yup, Massachusetts is an expensive place to build a pool.

Even to renovate. We were thinking that we saved a bunch of money by buying a house with a pool .... but the renovation we're doing now is putting that theory to the test .... :eek:

I propose that going forward everyone in this thread describes their pool build / renovation budget in units of years-of-college-tuition-for-the-kids just to put things in perspective.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I am about to sign contract to build the following:
103 ft perimeter
538 sq feet surface.
Depth 3.5-5.5-4,
2 baja shelves one at the 2nd step and the other at about 18 inches. Plus one bench on the opposite side of the pool
70 sq ft natural rock waterfall
Mini pebble interior (color to be determined)
Travertine coping and 479 sq. ft travertine decking

Pentair Equipment: Intelliflo variable speed pump, Clean and clear plus cartridge filter and easy touch panel.

A&A Products: Magna Sweep In-Floor cleaning system, Venturi skimmer, Venturi gamma cleaning heads, leaf vac canister, Quick pure 3 ozone system, and Quick Dek Clor

Savi LED lighting (4 savi melody p led lights)

$35,254

Still have lots of questions and worries around the mini-pebble interior and the A7A magna sweep. Super satisfied with the price. May add a 12x12 pergola and an additional 200 sq. feet of travertine.

So I am about to sign contract to build the following:
103 ft perimeter
538 sq feet surface.
Depth 3.5-5.5-4,
2 baja shelves one at the 2nd step and the other at about 18 inches. Plus one bench on the opposite side of the pool
70 sq ft natural rock waterfall
Mini pebble interior (color to be determined)
Travertine coping and 479 sq. ft travertine decking

Pentair Equipment: Intelliflo variable speed pump, Clean and clear plus cartridge filter and easy touch panel.

A&A Products: Magna Sweep In-Floor cleaning system, Venturi skimmer, Venturi gamma cleaning heads, leaf vac canister, Quick pure 3 ozone system, and Quick Dek Clor

Savi LED lighting (4 savi melody p led lights)

$35,254

Still have lots of questions and worries around the mini-pebble interior and the A7A magna sweep. Super satisfied with the price. May add a 12x12 pergola and an additional 200 sq. feet of travertine.
They'll build that pool for 35K and you haven't signed yet?!? I'd sign before they realize they made a mistake on your quote, that's a heck of a price!

They'll build that pool for 35K and you haven't signed yet?!? I'd sign before they realize they made a mistake on your quote, that's a heck of a price!

I have 5 quotes for the same pool and they all range from 35k to 41k. A lot of pool builders in the valley went out of business during the economic downturn and the strong companies that are left are extremely competitive in price and for business. Its also coming into our offseason so pools are slightly discounted right now.

- - - Updated - - -

AZ seems to have the best prices around...I guess because it's hot and a lot of pools are being built.

But out that seems like a smoking deal man

I have been "shopping" and interviewing builders for a month and a half. I am very close, to signing. Still not sold on Stonescapes mini pebble, Pebbletec pebble sheen is about 1000k more. The contractor is going to take me to a few jobs he has done with mini pebble to try to ease some of my concerns.

My lot is insanely sloped. My pool build so far is at 68k. I wish it was cheaper but it is what it is. My cost is due mainly to lots of retaining walls and the pool being built out of the ground and grading up to the pool. It has been a crazy build so far. The cheapest quote we got was 58k but that was strictly for cement and some flagstone coping. Austin is a pretty expensive build but MA seems to have me beat.

When we bought the new house two years ago we new we couldn't live in Vegas (we relocated here) without a pool so we started saving monthly and didn't take our annual vacation this summer and paid cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.