Who is ready for spring ?

13431052985_1e3b8e2d18.jpg

37 and it's been raining for 2 days. It's better than snow so we're making progress. I'm going to get the pump and filter out of the basement later in the week and get some water moving and adjust the levels. I'll be semi- open. Cover will remain on for awhile yet. ?

Ten-day forecast is filled with 70's and 80's for highs. Some of the lows next week will get into the 40's, but it looks like the danger of any more overnight freezes is done for this season - thankfully. Pool water hit 60°F this past Saturday and probably climbed another couple of degrees since then. The first swim should be just around the corner. However, as we close out March, this will be the 2nd consecutive year without a March swim. Trees are just starting to bud. This is the barest I have seen trees in DFW this late in the season during the nearly 30 years that I have lived here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Central Florida weighing in:cool: This has been the worst "Spring" that I can remember, but it has been better than many parts of the country. We have been swimming since the first of March (wet suits on of course/temp 74-76). However, we have been out of the pool since late September so the kids are a little more accepting of the colder water temps this year. Just as soon as they are able to swim, here comes another cold front and the temp drops back to 68-70 and they are out again. The hot tub has served as the pool more than I ever imagined it would.

This week, we are on a steady to the mid 80s BUT, if the forecast holds true, we may be back in the high 60s next week....boy I hope NOT. I am sooo ready for consistently warm weather! Right now, the pool temp is 72. Should be 74 by the time I get home.

We are having glorious spring weather. Blindingly bright blue sky with a wind that kept blowing salad off my plate at lunch along the waterway today. In the last 10 days the trees have gone into full leaf -- so green it almost hurts your eyes. Always amazes me that they can all do that in the space of a week, tiny buds to full leaves. High of 72 degrees. Not sure what the pool temp might be, for I am thin skinned, or maybe just spoiled, so I'm not really interested until it is nearing 85 water temps. We may be able to hit that water temp a bit earlier than usual due to all the shrubbery losses from cold temps this winter that will lead to more sun on the pool.

The Giant Bird of Paradise is now just stumps instead of 15' tall and hanging over the pool. (BTW, a great next to the pool plant if you have tropical temps most of the time. No debris in the pool. Resembles a banana tree but not the problem of spreading everywhere and turning to mush in the winter.) Lots of damaged palms, the ixora and cardboard palms (shrubs) may take another month to come back from the roots. Palms give shade from the sunny side of the pool so we can expect warmer water this time around, Yeah!

I am not yet inspired to do much yard work, still favoring the right arm with a torn rotator cuff -- stupid thing will never actually heal, just gets better and then worse. Got a ton of caladium bulbs to plant all around the pool, the soil is still cool so that can wait I think. After 5 years of toil, we are nearly done with the hard work in this yard. I am happy with the late spring this year, so often I am inside doing taxes for the family and totally miss the good weather. Got to appreciate that when it is here in S. Texas.

This weekend is the Waterway Art Fest, so I'm looking forward to a weekend of music and art and fine weather. Yea!

So, time for me to move to poolside with a nice glass of Liberty School Cabernet (new favorite wine) and admire the clean clean pool (all the work on Polaris paid off in spades, pool is pristine!) Trying to not make mental notes of yard work to be done. (weeds here, add color there, time to redo the rocks over there, maybe move that baby palm again.)

Finally took the first swim of the season yesterday. I felt great to be back in the saddle again. However, I might not be in that saddle for long as a strong-for-this-time-of-year cold front is slated to sweep through tonight. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the 50's with the low in the mid-upper 30's. I'm sure that will knock the water temps down a few notches. And then the water warm-up cycle will begin again...

Snow tonight after close to 80' all weekend. Fortunately it is supposed to start warming up again Wednesday.

Got my TF-100 test kit last week...absolutely cannot wait to get started and see some results. Never again will I get pool-stored.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.