White non-algae(?) growth, highly resistant to chlorine - what is it?

greendog2017

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 23, 2022
Mountain View, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP! We've been long time readers of TFP and followed it guidance successfully over the years. We need your help!

Super short version: we have this white substance (see pictures) is that growing on our tiles (both above the water line and below). It is definitely not calcium deposits (it's soft and it grows in 24 hours). Using our trusty Taylor water kit we super shocked the pool with a FC level of 28 for 3 days...and it still didn't kill the growth. Wow. Now we have no idea what to do. Has anyone encountered this before? How did you get rid of it? If we call in pros to help, what should they have experience with?

----
Longer tale of woe

Stats
: Our in-ground pool is ~18.5k gallons. Plaster surface redone more than 5 years ago, but less than 10. Connected to a Pentair cartridge filter. We also have solar roof panels for warming the water.

Maintenance: We're DIYers based on the great guidance here (we can't use hotel pools anymore now that we know how clear pool water is supposed to look!). We try our best to keep FC between 3-7, pH between 7.2-7.6, and Alkalinity between 80-100. The most recent test reading showed Calcium at 500, Alkalinity at 80, CYA at around 30, and phosphate at around 100 . We track CSI and all the like using our Taylor test kit. We use liquid chlorine (to keep the CYA levels from rising too much) and acid to balance the water, and also use Algaecide, PhosFREE, and Alkalnity UP (from Leslie's Pool Supply) as needed .

What happened
Back a few weeks ago our auto-fill valve got stuck. The water leveler thought it was off, but the value itself got jammed. We only realized this after my daughter saw water spilling over the edge of the pool. We shut the water off, fixed the value, and thought we were good.

But then we noticed this odd little white growth that was growing in the grout between two of the tiles. See picture 1. This picture was taken after we had used a wire brush to clean the grout and even poured liquid chlorine right near that part of the pool. Prior that cleaning the white growth was 10x that size (somewhat similar to the size of a Chapstick). Despite that cleaning and treatment in 24 hours it grew back to the size shown in image 1.

At this point we read about "white algae" online and jumped into action. We put the FC at 28 for 3 days thinking that would kill it. Nope! It still grew, much more slowly, but it grew. The FC level was only dropping by 1 overnight and we never saw floating things in the water that looked like tissue paper, so we thought perhaps it's not white algae, but maybe kind of mold/fungus. The only solace we took was that the growth seemed limited to that one tile area.

Based on that guess we decided to shut off the water feed altogether and wait until the water level got below that troublesome spot in the tile. I purchased an organic fungicide and a hospital level "it kills everything" cleaner to attack the growth once the water level was low enough. The water dropped low enough today, so I went out...and saw pictures 2 and 3. It now appears like that growth is now happening above the water line, and around the entire pool (nooooo!), and seems quite happy to have embedded itself in our dark grout. Lord have mercy...

Extended questions

Given the amount of extended cleaning needed I'm guessing we need I'm very much leaning towards calling in paid professionals to take care of this. But I don't want someone coming in saying, "You just need to shock the pool!", do a cursory cleaning, shock the pool once, leave, and then for this to come back in 24 hours.

Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I have a feeling when the water overflowed the pool it must have drained something nasty from the concrete deck into the pool (whether that be fungus, mold, something from a bird dropping who knows what).

We're looking for a professional that not only will get rid of this issue, but someone who knows water safety enough so that whatever they do to get rid of the issue they don't leave the water in such a state that our teeth will fall out once we get back in the water. :) Of course if you TFP'ers know of a decent DIY solve for this please enlighten us!

Help us TFP family!

Attachments

• 1-cropped growth.jpg
    1-cropped growth.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 2-growth everywhere.jpg
    2-growth everywhere.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 3-growth side view.jpg
    3-growth side view.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 38
Just because it's white and soft doesn't mean it's not calcium. I used to get white soft, very large, crystalline calcium growth UNDERWATER on the bottom side of a rock ledge. The growth could be as long as one of those fat crayons preschoolers use.

Carefully scrape some of the white stuff off into a glass or clear plastic container and put a few drops of white vinegar on it. If if fizzes, it's calcium.

My theory is the ground underneath your coping and behind your tile (around the bond beam of the pool) is saturated with water from the autofill accident and what you are seeing is calcium efflorescence growing from the grout. It can easily happen above and below the water line.

We just tried the vinegar test and while the flakes of white did dissolve, we could not detect any fizz (we tried it twice). Is there any other test we could run (maybe using some of the chemicals from a Taylor test kit) that might be more definitive?

Alternatively, @JoyfulNoise, let's say you're right (it makes so much sense), what should we do? Do we just have to wait for the water stuck behind the tile to finish it's course? Assuming it's calcium What's the easiest way to get calcium efflorescence off of tile? (esp. above the water line and coming out of black grout)

Truly appreciated!

I’m guessing you are not seeing a fizz because the calcium carbonate crystals are so teensie-weensie that they dissolve pretty much instantly; there’s not much CO2 there to make a visible fizzing. If you’re keen to do so, try a drop of muriatic acid. Please be careful. Do it outside with gloves eye protection etc….

This is just a thought but might be worth a try. How about take some tap water. Measure the baseline calcium using a good kit. Then take some more tap water, dissolve some of this white stuff in it then remeasure calcium. If calcium measurement goes up substantially then it's probably calcium crystals.

Hi @Katygreys thanks so much for the suggestion. Just to make sure I'm following, if I do the muriatic acid test what would I expect to see so I know it's indeed calcium?
To be honest I’m not sure. If you were to drop dilute hydrochloric acid (HCl)onto a piece of marble or limestone, both calcium carbonate (CaCO3), you would observe bubbling and fizzing. I am willing to bet you have calcium deposits, likely CaCO3. The bubbling and fizzing happens typically for a few seconds as the reaction releases carbon dioxide (CO2) gas. In this situation you typically have enough CaCO3 in your piece of limestone or marble rock to keep the reaction going to completion when the HCl is “used up”. I’m betting that the mass of CaCO3 you have is minuscule, so your sample is dissolved super fast. Muriatic acid is indeed HCl. Try it for fun but be careful. If you were able to collect enough of your mysterious sample and squish it into a ball the size of a BB or a pea, You might have better fizzing results. I’m just guessing you need more sample.

I like the other idea posted above. It’s been too long since I took chemistry to figure out how much of your sample you would need to dissolve in a given sample of water to detect an increase in CH. i’m sure someone smarter will chime in. I’m just saying that it’s possible to perform the CH test before and after you dissolve your mysterious sample in it and you get a false negative. That is, you actually do indeed have a calcium precipitate, but you did not dissolve enough to see an increase in the CH test.

Last edited:
To be accurate, the HCl test does not detect Calcium. It detects carbonate. Unless your pool is adjacent to a deposit of some exotic mineral deposit like azurite or rhodochrosite, the most common carbonate on the planet is calcium carbonate. Therefore, detecting carbonate is typically a positive indication of calcium.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.