White flakes

Ok. Keep lowering the pH to 7.4 when it gets to 7.8 or 8. The added aeration May end up being an issue.

Reactions: Sn00py
Aeration from spa overflow or swg? I can try to set valves to eliminate overflow. It’s really a small one

Btw tested fill water
Ph 7.0
Ta 150
Ch not ‘measurable’ i have a water softener

The SWCG does create some minor aeration. But the spa spillover is significantly more. And with high TA fill water, you will have rising pH.

Bummer…. So to offset this at least a little bit my best bet would be to do what?
it will be pita adding acid every 2 days, especially if I’m gone for vacation or business trip.

It should slow with lower TA. But you also have to be careful of TA going too low.

How were you chlorinating before.

I'm voting for "just add borates now". I fought and fought with the flakes starting just a few days after installing my SWG last year. I lowered my CH. I lowered my TA (which I couldn't really keep low because fill water was higher). I was dosing with acid every other day. I couldn't keep up. It was nerve wracking.
I ended up finally adding borates to 40 ppm and have not had one flake since. I also removed the SWG cell for winter and it was squeaky clean.
I still maintain my balance, because I obviously don't want other problems. I dose a quart of acid a week (sometimes 1/2 gal), and try to keep my CSI on the negative side.
Side note: before adding borates I noticed I had *more* flakes when the water was extra toasty. Yesterday I removed my solar cover because my water was over 93 degrees. Still no flakes.
Add the borates. You won't be sorry.
Side note #2: I don't know if this is a thing, or if it's all in my head, but my water seems silkier and more sparkly with the borates, bugs also don't seem to care for it much.
PS - I live in your area, so maybe there is something going on with our water :unsure:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking back at logs I added enough borax over a year ago to reach about 20 borates but never actually tested the level. I’ve never had flakes. I thought my fill water came from the Sacramento River too but the tests are very different. I tested just a few days ago the tap and have ph 7.8, ta 40 and calcium less than 50. I dealt with high ph via occasional pucks in a floater and was able to avoid adding any liquid acid or bleach from Oct thru june this year. You will find not having to deal with liquid chlorine so much easier.

Reactions: Sn00py
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.