Which way is the water flowing from this diverter

Sep 18, 2018
Northport, NY
I am going to be removing this diverter and only using one of the lines back to the pool because I am eliminating the return that goes to the pool steps. The other return goes to the returns across from the filter intakes.
Sorry for the ignorant question but I am not familiar with this valve. The return comes from the longer pipe and the valve directs it to one of the two branches.
I can't tell looking at the valve. is it flowing toward where the handle is pointing or is it flowing toward where the U shape on the valve is. I suppose I can take the valve apart and tell for sure but I figure someone here're knows. In other words, looking at the photo. is the water flowing toward the right or the left. Which one is shut off, the right or the left.
Thanks
Ray

Attachments

• pooll1.JPG
    pooll1.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 41
Ray,

The question is why in the world do you want to shut off one of the returns? On the surface it makes no sense to do this.. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ah....good question! One of those pipes go to a return that is at the pool steps to give a massage effect and to keep sand off the steps. But those fittings were constantly breaking and this year I got new pavers over the pool which I no longer want to dig up to repair. Yet someone recently turned that diverter and sent water to the now blocked off fittings causing back pressure that was not needed. I want to remove all possibility of any water going in that direction so I will take the diverter out and plumb to the line that is supposed to get the water, thus avoiding any future mistakes by people who think they know better.
Make sense? Or I could just GLUE the diverter into its current position but I figured I could add a port for blow outs there.

- - - Updated - - -

Ray,

The question is why in the world do you want to shut off one of the returns? On the surface it makes no sense to do this.. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ah....good question! One of those pipes go to a return that is at the pool steps to give a massage effect and to keep sand off the steps. But those fittings were constantly breaking and this year I got new pavers over the pool which I no longer want to dig up to repair. Yet someone recently turned that diverter and sent water to the now blocked off fittings causing back pressure that was not needed. I want to remove all possibility of any water going in that direction so I will take the diverter out and plumb to the line that is supposed to get the water, thus avoiding any future mistakes by people who think they know better.
Make sense? Or I could just GLUE the diverter into its current position but I figured I could add a port for blow outs there.

The simplest thing to do is leave the valve situated as you show in the picture above and remove the handle so it cannot be easily changed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.