which swg for newbie

How long before the salt will read correctly on the test kit? I put 7 bags in last night and checked it this morning. I didn't use the better kit. Just the strip kit from the tf place and it only registered 400ppm. I would of thought I would of been at least in the 2000+ range. I sweeper the pool this morning and add a few more bags. Will test with the better kit this afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so tested salt and it took 18 drops which should be 3600ppm

Next I tested for chlorine and didn't get pink which means there isn't any? I tested ph level and is either 7.8 or 8.0 and the yellow side was pretty clear with a small hint of yellow.
So how much bleach do I need to add to the pool to get some chlorine in it and to lower the ph level some.

You need to start using PoolMath, see my signature, and that will calculate how much of each chemical to put into the pool based on your test results and what you want to achieve.

Roughly speaking I would put in 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach and around 3 cups of full strength acid about 15-30 minutes after adding the bleach.

Since the FC level is low, run an OCLT tonight to see if there are organics in the water. Make sure the SWG is not on during an OCLT.

Please add more pool details to your signature so we don't have to hunt them down.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430606843.253807.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430606852.774086.jpg

Got it mounted and wired. Will turn it on once I get the levels in the pool correct. I added 2 gallons of bleach and three cups of acid. Will test it again here in a little while. And sorry I will update my sign once I get to work Monday. I don't have a home pc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Taken from Pool School SWG water balance:
FC 4-6 ppm
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80 *********** (you are at 170 ??? You need to lower the TA)*********************
CH•50-300 for vinyl

•220-320 for fiberglass

•250-350 for plaster

CYA 70-80
Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level
Borates 30-50 ppm (optional

And thanks I did get the pool math to work on my phone. Stupid question and dumb first timer mistake. When I bought all the salt I also bought a bottle of what I thought was just bleach but it was in the pool section. It was alga side with bleach in it and I used the whole gallon. Could that mess with all my test? Also I am getting some foam in the water which I did a search on and seen it can come from way to much alga side which I deft used way to much.

Ok trying to slam the pool starting yesterday afternoon. The pool math shows I need a fc of 12 to slam the pool with a cya of 20. I had 2.5 cc on the chlorine test. I rested everything today and had better reading then before. The cya stayed the same but ta was a lot better. And so was ch I don't think I did the test correct the first go around.
Water temp 78
Fc 7
Ta 110
Ch 250
Cya 20 or lower
Cc 2.5
Ph 7.5/4

Been adding a lot of bleach per the pool math to try to get to slam levels. I also added 8pds of conditioner between yesterday and this afternoon to try to raise the cya up some. I can't test every 2 hours during the day so I am testing fc first thing in the morning and soon as I get home from work then 2 hours after that. So basically 3-4 times a day until the weekend.

It is preferred to have cya at 30-40 for a SLAM so that sun doesn't eat up the chlorine. I would take the FC up 3 or 4 points above shock level in the AM before work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.