Which solar cover strap kit do you recommend?

Jun 25, 2013
Green Bay, WI
When we tossed our solar cover at the end of last season due to it disintegration, we forgot to salvage the clips/rope that worked with our cover reel.
Our reel is mounted across the center of our 24' round above ground pool. The old kit was the Horizon Ventures which has the plastic clips, pieces of rope and the eyelets that screwed into the reel.

Although i never had any issues with this setup, curious if anyone would recommend a different kit that's either more economical or better for the cover?

It sounds like you still have the reel itself. Is that correct? Those plastic clips started breaking on me the 1st season (some have lasted much longer). The clips especially broke where the straps went through them. The straps disintegrated in the elements slower. I ended up replacing the straps by buying a long roll (mayby 25') of 1" or 1.5" nylon fabric. Cut a length to approximate length (plus some). I then attached one end of the strap to the reel directly with a screw and washer, and the other end of the strap to the covereither with a bolt or the remnant of the clip (minus where the strap would conveniently weave through).

Getting a hole in these straps can be tricky, but just use increasing sizes of sharp objects (ice pick, then small Phillips head, to larger). I then just used galvanized bolts (washer on both sides so the bolt didn't pull through) of cover, and go through doubled over fabric material (double over since end of fabric is frayed and can open easily). Instead of doubling over the fabric strap, you could try melting the ends, but that wasn't working so well for me.

It's not as easy as the store bought one, but is much cheaper, and higher quality material.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.