TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Pentair Boost-Rite booster pump is making that horrible death rattle sound. It was installed in mid 2018, so not very long-lived.

Rather than a repair or direct swap, I'd like to find a pump with less power. The Boost-Rite claims 1.0 HP and is too powerful for my Polaris Quattro. I have to both insert the red restrictor disc and open the pressure relief valve to prevent the Quattro from trying to climb out of the pool and damaging my auto-cover.

So I'm hoping to find a pump with less power (and less electric current draw) to replace the Boost-Rite. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My Pentair Boost-Rite booster pump is making that horrible death rattle sound. It was installed in mid 2018, so not very long-lived.

Rather than a repair or direct swap, I'd like to find a pump with less power. The Boost-Rite claims 1.0 HP and is too powerful for my Polaris Quattro. I have to both insert the red restrictor disc and open the pressure relief valve to prevent the Quattro from trying to climb out of the pool and damaging my auto-cover.

So I'm hoping to find a pump with less power (and less electric current draw) to replace the Boost-Rite. Any suggestions? Thanks.
All booster pumps move pretty much the same amount of water, that's why many are marketed as "universal."
Pentair's replacement for the Boost-Rite is the Hydro-Boost. The Hydro-Boost and Polaris PB4SQ use more efficient motors, but those type of cleaners aren't used that long in a day that the savings are of any real significance. They do use less energy than a standard booster pump like the Polaris PB4-60, but you may find that it works better with your Quattro.

The Hydro-Boost and Polaris PB4SQ use more efficient motors, but those type of cleaners aren't used that long in a day that the savings are of any real significance. They do use less energy than a standard booster pump like the Polaris PB4-60, but you may find that it works better with your Quattro.
Thanks for the reply. I can't quite parse the "it" in your last sentence. Which pump may work better?

Another vote for the Polaris PB4-60. It isn't the quietest or most efficient design, but it is dependable and well-made.

I recently replaced my Polaris booster pump with a PB4-60. The old booster pump was nearly 20 years old and was still working well! (but it was leaking slighly, and I got a good deal on a nearly-new PB4-60).

Thanks for the advice. I bought a PB4-60 as a proven model $100 less than the new ones. Sometimes I find it best to go with Old Reliable vs. New and fancy and unproven.