Which pump/filter combo for 12'

MikeForbes

Apr 14, 2021
Cardiff, UK.
Hello!

Have been playing with above ground pools for a few years now:
  • from Bestway 10' with inflatable ring to 12' diameter/30" deep
    • Modified with 1.5" skimmer and matching pipework
  • from 330gal/hr pump/filter combo (that was complete rubbish) and currently on Intex Crystal Clear, 4m3/hr 0.25hp
  • hand made solar panels (6 x 1m2 effective but very ugly - now ditched in favour of the next item)
  • heat pump
  • insulation (4" polystyrene below, together with 4" removable segments on the pool - very effective)
The kids are growing so we are upgrading to a 12' diameter/48" deep pool (10,000l / 2,708 US gallon).

I have been unimpressed by the Intel Crystal Clear pump and filter, the pump is not powerful and the filter requires daily backwashing (don't know how it made any water flow around the solar heaters, but that doesn't matter any more).

I am going to purchase a new pump filter combo. My question is what power to go for? I want enough so that it actually works (unlike the current one) without going for something ridiculously over powered. I am aware variable speed pumps exist, but these cost more than I am willing to pay! I can get a 450mm filter (18") with 0.5hp for £400 (Link deleted for new member, Jim R.) is that going to keep me happy for a few years? Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don’t have to go for a combo, but the one you describe should be fine. I used a 19” .5 hp on my 15’ by 48” and it worked for years.