Which one to balance first?

Apr 7, 2015
Katy, TX
Hello everyone. I tried looking this info up because I know it's a common question but I could not find it. I'm trying to get my FC, pH, TA and CYA to recommended levels. Can you tell me which one I need to correct 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th? Thank you so much!

Chlorine is king. While doing that, add CYA. And adjust pH. TA is last and most likely can just let maintaining pH in the 7's handle it.

Depends on fill water. If I have high TA fill water (like I believe you do), it should rise as I fill due to evaporation. You have had a lot of rain lately, so that may be an effect.

You can add 20 ppm TA of baking soda if you like.

I agree with you. I don't think I like my fill water. I think it creates instability with my chemicals. One last question. Of all the chemicals, CYA drives me crazy. It goes away so quickly. I was losing 6 ppm of chlorine daily during these past few weeks. I finally got some time to purchase some CYA. Here are my questions:
1. How often do you have check/replenish your CYA?
2. Why does my CYA go away so fast? Should I listen to the guys at the pool store and add chlorine pucks? :) Just kidding. Strike the last question.

1. How often do you have check/replenish your CYA?
In your area, the primary reason for CYA loss is overflow due to rain. You will get some degradation with water temperatures over 80-90F. If you do not get many inches of rain, you should be able to test CYA monthly and manage it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.