Which one is right???

All you need to do at this point is lower the pH and keep it in the mid 7s.
And maybe add a bit more CYA to help the SWG.

And reduce your signature length to 5 lines to conform with the forum rules ;)

Ok I added acid on Tuesday when ph was 8.2 and ta was 130. Two days later now my ph dropped to 7.8 but ta went up 150.

Why did the ta go up? So I added more acid to bring down ph a little more is the ta going to go up even more?

Only if you want to actively try to lower the TA, but only go down to about 7.2. I would just see how fast the pH rises. Add acid to lower it to 7.4-7.5 and verify what you got after an hour circulating (no need to wait 2 days).

14days after SLAMM. Swg has been off the whole time. I have adjusted levels to suggested amount. Today's readings are fc 3.0, cc 0, ta 100, cya 80, ch380, ph7.5, salt3200. I have a few questions,1. The daily ch tester reads 5 and the real drop test reads 3. Why the difference and which one do I go by. 2nd. I have been adding acid 20BAUME and I feel like it takes a lot more than the pool calc. Says I have been adding 2-3 cups every other day to try to reduce TA, ph does lower but never goes below 7.5 for instance I added 2 cups last nite and ph is still at 7.5. Why is this?

Themacdadt said:
1. The daily ch tester reads 5 and the real drop test reads 3. Why the difference and which one do I go by.
Trust the drop test that you add the powder too (assuming the FAS-DPD not the DPD chlorine test). On the OTO chlorine test (the one you called the "daily"), any reading above 2 ppm can be difficult to differentiate.

Themacdadt said:
2nd. I have been adding acid 20BAUME and I feel like it takes a lot more than the pool calc. Says I have been adding 2-3 cups every other day to try to reduce TA, ph does lower but never goes below 7.5 for instance I added 2 cups last nite and ph is still at 7.5. Why is this?
What is your starting ph? 3 cups (24 fl. oz) will lower you pool by about 0.38 and your TA by about 6.3 ppm. Have you intentionally raised your borate level to ~50 ppm?

One note: get your FC up. When not running the swg and with a cya of 80 ppm, you never want to let your FC get below 6 ppm!

Gotcha on the tests. I have no borates. As far as the acid I was just trying to lower the TA to the suggested level of 60-80 ppm. And it just seemed to me like a lot of acid was being used with not much changes in the ph. But seeing your estimates I guess it does take a lot of acid to perform this. Ok you say fc should never be below 6 with a cya level of 80? But the suggested fc level is3-5 and cya from 70-80?? I assume 3-5 with the swg on and cya of 80 is ok?

Correct, with the SWG running you can get away with a little lower FC level due to the volatile nature within the cell itself, and a more constant dosing, etc. When using bleach, the FC levels are a little higher to account for human error.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you add the bleach slowly in front of the return? If you poured it too fast maybe it sunk to the bottom and took a while to mix?? This could bleach your liner so you want to be careful. They say your stream of bleach should be no bigger than a pencil. Also you could sweep under where you pour when you finish.

n8henry said:
Did you add the bleach slowly in front of the return? If you poured it too fast maybe it sunk to the bottom and took a while to mix?? This could bleach your liner so you want to be careful. They say your stream of bleach should be no bigger than a pencil. Also you could sweep under where you pour when you finish.

What r u talking about?...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.