Which of these VS pumps would you recommend as a replacement for my setup?

psychobunny

May 23, 2022
Toronto
Hi everyone,

I had posted here previously as I was having issues with my pump and wanted to replace it with a VS one. There's a few I can get easily locally which are listed below and I'd love any feedback based on my setup. I've attached a couple photos of the pool here which is just under 30,000 gallons including the smaller "tanning pool" on the left. It's a saltwater system and uses a Raypak P-M266A-EN-C heater. It's a Hayward salt cell and Hayward sand filter. Coming from the filter is 1 return line that goes to 3 return jets in the main pool, and then also a separate return line that goes to the tanning pool. The tanning pool has 2 returns that just gravity drain into the main pool. Lastly, there's 1 port for vacuum which we don't use as I have a robot one instead. All plumbing is 1.5".

Here's the issue that we had:

Last year the pump I had got extremely loud and eventually died. It had a bit of a leak around the pump itself connecting to the PVC where salt water eventually corroded the electrical wiring. This was a 2hp Hayward Super Pump and we use 230v. I then replaced it with a 2hp Hayward Super Pump II but am having tons of issues, mainly with hour super loud it is and also because I think it's overpowered, as it's for 2" pipes where we only have 1.5". As such I want to replace it and get a variable speed pump.

The below are models that I can easily get right away. I know there's more but this is what I had started with:

Pentair IntelliFlo i1 Variable Speed Inground Pump (1.5/2)
Pentair SuperFlo Variable Speed Pump (1.5/2)
Hayward Super Pump Variable Speed Inground Pool Pump (Rotating Display) (1.5)
Hayward MaxFlo VS Variable Speed Pump (1.5/2)
Hayward TriStar Variable Speed Energy Efficient Inground Pump (2/2.5)

The brackets show the pipe size, so all of them are 1.5 other than the TriStar which is 2 and 2.5". I was leaning towards the Hayward Super Pump Variable Speed one as it only supports 1.5", my my biggest concern is getting something that's too weak. The pool is only 6 or so years old, so the pool company put the 2HP pump in originally but some have said it might be too powerful for what I need.

I'd love any feedback on if any of the pumps above would work or if I should look for something else. They are all so similar so it's hard to tell, but again my main concern is getting something too weak. The VS ones always have lower HP it seems, so I'm more nervous seeing some of these at 1.65HP for example but knowing I have 2HP today. My goal is to run it as low and quiet as possible as I hate hearing it, even though the pump is kept indoors in the pool pump room.

Thanks so much for the help as always!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 1.58.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 1.58.50 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 1.58.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 1.58.42 PM.png
    724.9 KB · Views: 6
Hayward TriStar VSP. Adjust the rpm to your flow requirements. It is always more efficient to have a larger horsepower pump running slower. That will definitely lower your noise level as well.
These three pumps are all medium-head pumps (generally less expensive than high-head):
These are high-head:

Hayward TriStar VSP. Adjust the rpm to your flow requirements. It is always more efficient to have a larger horsepower pump running slower. That will definitely lower your noise level as well.
These three pumps are all medium-head pumps (generally less expensive than high-head):
These are high-head:

How'd I guess the most expensive one would be the recommendation? :) Thanks that's helpful! Is it an issue having the 2" fittings on the pump if my plumbing is only 1.5" I guess with VS isn't not as big of a concern?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.