Which comes first, slam or stabilizer

suerou

Jun 25, 2018
Charlton ma
Hi, appreciate ant help with this. Just opened pool. Chlorine is at 0. So is cya. Water is a tint of green. I want to slam it but I'm worried that if I start the stabilizerin the nylon stocking, which it needs, then I will backwash my efforts out when the pressure goes up during slamming. Thoughts??

Algae means it's time for the SLAM Process, but you do want a CYA of at least 30. By using the sock (or nylon) soaking method, you do not encounter the loss of CYA like those who might have added it directly to the skimmer. So get that nylon socking for a CYA goal of 30 and increase the FC to 12. Start the SLAM!.

Oh, be sure to lower the pH to about 7.2 first though. :)

You need the stabilizer to protect the chlorine and make it effective for the SLAM Process

You will lose some stabilizer with the water during the backwashes and may need to add more if your SLAM takes a while.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Algae means it's time for the SLAM Process, but you do want a CYA of at least 30. By using the sock (or nylon) soaking method, you do not encounter the loss of CYA like those who might have added it directly to the skimmer. So get that nylon socking for a CYA goal of 30 and increase the FC to 12. Start the SLAM!.

Appreciate that. I'm adding stabilizer through nylon sock now. So can I add some chlorine before I reach 30 so algae doesn't grow?

Appreciate that. I'm adding stabilizer through nylon sock now. So can I add some chlorine before I reach 30 so algae doesn't grow

You just go ahead & assume what you’re currently Dissolving is in the water & dose accordingly FC/CYA Levels.
Put the stocking infront of a return- not in the skimmer - this ensures the cya is in the water in short order & not trapped in the filter.
Like this👇
A36CEA6F-CC97-47A7-ACB8-A0AA67C35E11.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.