Which above ground pool advice

Astross89

Aug 20, 2017
Palm bay
We are looking to upgrade our 18 ft Coleman pool. Has done well for us but showing some rust on the top rails. We are looking to stay at 18 ft or jump up to a 21-ft. We are looking for a saltwater capability. We were looking at pool Factory. We are looking at the Aurora all resin, saltwater 8000 and 5000. We want something that's going to last a very long time. We are looking at the Hayward 21in sand filter and 1.5hp 2 speed pump. Also going with their thickest liner the 40 gauge. What do y'all think. Did the resin walls have any downside. We just want something that's going to last and not give us any issues. Or is there any other above ground pool I should look at from a different place. Also is the pump and filter good? And is there a point where the liner is too thick.

Are you DIYing or getting installed? If getting installed you should talk to installers first. A lot of them really want to sell you the pool and can maybe come close to online pricing all in.

I decided that it was cheaper to get the cheapest all steel pool on the market and replace it when it rusts out. But all resin walls are indeed superior I think.

Pay close attention to whether it's truly all resin. There has been a lot of misleading advertising to hide what are actually actually "steel core" walls.

Reactions: Decoy205
"Saltwater compatibility" is mostly a myth used to sell more expensive products. A pool using pucks is far more caustic due to the acidity than a little bit of salt in the water (and there's plenty of salt in all pool water anyway).

Keeping proper water balance is the real key to the longevity of a liner and shell of a pool. Nothing wrong with resin components, but resist the sales pitches that claim salt pools are special and need special chemicals or equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
We are looking to upgrade our 18 ft Coleman pool. Has done well for us but showing some rust on the top rails. We are looking to stay at 18 ft or jump up to a 21-ft. We are looking for a saltwater capability. We were looking at pool Factory. We are looking at the Aurora all resin, saltwater 8000 and 5000. We want something that's going to last a very long time. We are looking at the Hayward 21in sand filter and 1.5hp 2 speed pump. Also going with their thickest liner the 40 gauge. What do y'all think. Did the resin walls have any downside. We just want something that's going to last and not give us any issues. Or is there any other above ground pool I should look at from a different place. Also is the pump and filter good? And is there a point where the liner is too thick.

I am starting in this hunt myself. My current 27' ABG of unknown vintage or manufacturer, is starting to near the end of its' lifespan. I have some nasty top rail rust going on as well, and it never was really installed correctly. My neighbor has told me that the previous owner liked to do thing himself, and his projects usually met three criteria - as cheaply as possible, in under 24 hours, and involving a case of beer. My current pool is one of those projects (and the last one of the sort remaining).

My issue is it is a 48" pool, and has a deck along about 40% of it. It seems most resin pools are 54" for some reason. I guess I could make that work, by making it higher than the deck (I an NOT digging).

I am also open to a steel wall with resin components pool. I also like the Radiant Metric pools, but I cannot find a price, nor a place that sells them to consumers.

I have seen some pools that are 6" higher than the deck and it doesn't look bad at all, deck ladder or stairs still work fine.

My concern is more about the skimmer and return. My skimmer is currently built into my deck (the lid is level with my deck boards) and the return is below the deck. I guess having the skimmer hanging above the deck and the return possibly being above the deck are not the worst things. I really do not want to move the off to the side either since my filter (and associated electric is where it is)

I am also open to a steel wall with resin components pool. I also like the Radiant Metric pools, but I cannot find a price, nor a place that sells them to consumers.

As the Radiant website seifically states DIY have you tried to call them and ask where you can get one?

1-800-RADIANT​

"Will you need an installer?
Swimming pools are constructed on your property. Installing a Radiant Pool can be a quick and easy DIY job as with the Metric Series Round pool or a custom inground building project. As such, the degree of expertise and experience of your swimming pool supplier and contractor is absolutely essential. Be sure to check references by calling or visiting previous customers, and ask questions about your particular project. It’s your investment. Reputable pool contractors and pool suppliers understand that and should take the time to answer all your questions. Radiant Pools offers tech support to all its dealers."

As the Radiant website seifically states DIY have you tried to call them and ask where you can get one?

1-800-RADIANT​

"Will you need an installer?
Swimming pools are constructed on your property. Installing a Radiant Pool can be a quick and easy DIY job as with the Metric Series Round pool or a custom inground building project. As such, the degree of expertise and experience of your swimming pool supplier and contractor is absolutely essential. Be sure to check references by calling or visiting previous customers, and ask questions about your particular project. It’s your investment. Reputable pool contractors and pool suppliers understand that and should take the time to answer all your questions. Radiant Pools offers tech support to all its dealers."

I would rather find out prices first, before calling a dealer. I have dealt with things like this before. You call, or you fill out the "find a dealer" form and next thing you know you are on the contact list and are bombarded with emails, phone calls, and other such nonsense.

So far everyone that I have seen get an Aurora is pleased with it. If I replaced mine today that’s what I’d get.
I don’t know where Palm Bay is but in the southern United States it’s humid & pools will sweat - this leads to rust. The fully resin Aurora solves this problem.
There are Plenty of happy folks here with their saltwater 5k & 8k’s too. They were on my list when I got mine (the Aurora didn’t exist then) but I couldn’t find an independent installer so I had to go another route. They are good pools.
Your filter & pump are good choices. A vsp is an even pump better choice if you can swing the upfront expense. Getting the biggest filter possible means less backwashing. I have a 250# sand filter & a 26k gal pool with moderate debris- I backwash maybe a handful of times in my 7 month long season.
When you’re swg shopping be sure to get one that’s rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume- the bigger the better, as it means you won’t need to run it as much & it’s 7-10k hour @100% life span will last longer in people years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While I have no idea about the companies as I was just looking for resin pools, Google yielded a ton of results (pool with resin walls)

Just to say again, you have to watch out with every resin pool you look at.

See the last image on this pool for and example of their tactics to bury "steel wall core" (read: it's a steel wall) in fine print.

While I have no idea about the companies as I was just looking for resin pools, Google yielded a ton of results (pool with resin walls)

The only ones of these that state they have resin walls is the Aurora.
The blue cascades don’t elaborate so may want to call.
All of the familypoolfun ones have steel walls.

I would rather find out prices first, before calling a dealer. I have dealt with things like this before. You call, or you fill out the "find a dealer" form and next thing you know you are on the contact list and are bombarded with emails, phone calls, and other such nonsense.
The other ones that are made like radiant pools are stealth pools. You may find an installer in your area. I have a throw away/junk email i use for stuff like that.
There’s also the doughboy hydrosphere. They all have the interlocking panels that are foam filled. The hydrosphere is the only “salt friendly” pool doughboy sells where it’s use won’t void your warranty.

We have a Saltwater 8000 33' round. We have had it for 3 years and are very happy with it. If you do enough research you will find that all pools have salt in them and even chlorine pools will sometimes have as much salt as a saltwater pool. That being said keeping your chemical and ph levels in the correct zone is the best solution for protecting your pool. This website and the pool math app have saved me quite a bit of money in purchasing and maintaining our pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.