Where to start with pool cleaners?

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
I’m a bit overwhelmed in starting to research pool cleaners. Is there somewhere I can read up on the pros/cons of the different types?

I’m attaching a picture of my oddly shaped pool. It’s about 3 feet deep at the steps and goes down to 6.5 at the far side where it is widest. There is only one skimmer and 3 returns. It’s screened in so doesn’t need vacuuming too often, but I’m just so tired of dealing with the hose for manually vacuuming. We do get a lot of bugs at the bottom and some leaves from the patio plants. It would be nice to clean it weekly which is far more often than I currently do it manually. We only have one power outlet inside the screened patio—not convenient—behind the grill and about 12 feet from the pool edge, so any cord would have to be run across the main traffic path on the patio.

My brother swears by his Hayward Navigator V-Flex but I’d still be dealing with a hose and it’s going to block the skimmer while in use. So the idea of a cordless robotic vac appeals to me.

What do you suggest I look at?

Attachments

• IMG_3962.jpeg
    IMG_3962.jpeg
    670.4 KB · Views: 26
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I held out on Marina... and then ended up there to buy. Based on my (extensive) research, they were well-informed AND significantly cheaper than anywhere else. Just call them. I emailed/spoke with Jared.

To answer your question directly: You will run into more dead ends and out-of-date spec comparisons online than you can keep count of. Including specs on the manufacturer's own websites. I considered making an excel spec comparison sheet for the community as I did my research... and then realized many of the videos or write ups were stale/inaccurate, some as recent as last year. So it seemed it would get stale way too fast to be worth it. But all the online reviews and write-ups were helpful to understand the variations in basket design, operation, cord length, app benefits, etc. But once you figure out what the priorities are for you, Marina can line up your must-haves with the current model that has them.

Reactions: PoolStored
BTW, for me the important factors were:
(1) corded since I don't feel cordless are quite ready for primetime.
(2) longer cord. This way I can change where I plug the robot in for my specific pool/power options.
(3) top load basket with the dual filtration. You can get another coarse basket that will slip inside the lower end Dolphins for an extra $50-60. But definitely didn't want to deal with the small cartridges, or a bottom load.
(4) app control. I considered a "dumb" robot with smart plug and automation mode, but really wanted the app to notify me when the filter basket was full. Put all of those together and I went with the Dolphin Active 40. So, yes, I'm paying like $400 extra for the app to tell me to get off my butt and clean the filter. Don't judge. Be really careful on exactly what features are unlocked for each level of robot. They play some games there.

So far it's working like a champ.

Thanks for the replies. From what I saw on Marina’s website, they’re more than I was hoping to spend… I’ll keep researching but hoping to find something basic in the $300 range.

What are Marina's prices like? Can they get me one of the many Maytronics-made Pentair Warrior SE equivalents for less than $649?

An aside: If Maytronics took all the effort they've put into making umpteen colors and nameplates of essentially the same robots, and put that into developing a brushless motor version (double aside: it's not rocket science, brushless motor power tools are available well under $100), they'd have a far more durable product. Presumably it would even be possible to design a non-sealed brushless motor.

What are Marina's prices like? Can they get me one of the many Maytronics-made Pentair Warrior SE equivalents for less than $649?

An aside: If Maytronics took all the effort they've put into making umpteen colors and nameplates of essentially the same robots, and put that into developing a brushless motor version (double aside: it's not rocket science, brushless motor power tools are available well under $100), they'd have a far more durable product. Presumably it would even be possible to design a non-sealed brushless motor.
Warrior SI price was $649 when I last purchased - not sure if it's changed over last year or two.
But give 'em a call, they may have a different idea for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.