Apr 15, 2024
Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone, I'm really happy to have discovered the TFP website

I've read all your articles, but where should I start to balance my newly filled water?

Here are the results:
pH 7.2
FC 0.1
TC 0.1,
Alkalinity 19
Calcium Hardness 44
CYA 5
Phosphate 119.

Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the forum.
I suggest your review Pool Care Basics
As it appears you posted pool store test results, I also suggest you obtain your own proper test kit. In Canada, you either can use a shipping service or have a kit sent to a mail drop at the border and cross over to pick it up.

In the meantime, add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day until you can properly test your pool water chemistry.

Reactions: mgtfp
Hello

yes, these are store-bought test results
I've ordered a kit and am waiting for it to arrive.

Should I use liquid chlorine gradually until I achieve a reasonable CYA to FC ratio, and then adjust the other values?

Thank you.

Where to begin

Here, of course. Welcome to the forum!

Should I use liquid chlorine gradually until I achieve a reasonable CYA to FC ratio, and then adjust the other values?

As Marty suggested, until your kit arrives add 3ppm worth of liquid chlorine daily until your kit arrives. You can use PoolMath to calculate how much liquid chlorine that is for your pool volume.

Then post a full set of test results:
FC
CC
CYA
pH
TA
CH
Water temperature

From there we can make an action plan on what to tackle first.

In the meantime you can also add your pool details to your Signature (hold your phone landscape to see Marty's and mine as examples). This will help us to give you the best advice.

Is your pool 85000 litres or gallons? Your calculation is for 85000 gallons - pretty big pool.

It would help if you added your pool info also to the signature. The info in the side bar unfortunately doesn't show the units, so it would be good to clarify that in your signature.

Just went into your profile and could see there that it's 85000 litres, not gallons.

Then it's only 4.1 litres of 6% liquid chlorine.

When using household bleach, make sure that it doesn't contain any additives (fragrance, "splash less", etc). Most do have additives these days, which is why we generally recommend dedicated pool liquid chlorine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mackside