Where on earth do you guys get liquid chlorine once Walmart stops carrying it?

Mar 26, 2017
Greenville SC
I'm in SC. Greenville, specifically. And every year I face the same problem. Walmart is essentially the only place I can get bleach. Both home improvement stores- HD and Lowes have gone literally insane with their pricing the past 2 years. They now want 9$ for a single gallon of bleach. The problem is with Walmart's seasonal stocking. The instant Labor day hits, all of the bleach is whisked away and the Fall and Christmas stuff is put in its place. If I had any sense, I'd stock up with 20 or so gallons while they have it available, but alas I am not a smart man.

Out of necessity, I've been using algaecide from an outlet store since its the cheapest thing available locally. I have not tried local pool stores yet.

• Sad
Reactions: plnewb
Do you have Pinch-A-Penney there?

Also check janitorial supplies, pressure washers, tractor/farm supply, Ace Hardware or similar.

What is your present CH reading? If it's low, CalHypo is always an option for a while.

Do you have Pinch-A-Penney there?

Also check janitorial supplies, pressure washers, tractor/farm supply, Ace Hardware or similar.

What is your present CH reading? If it's low, CalHypo is always an option for a while.
Ill check to see if we have those.

Yeah I forgot to mention I bought a bucket of pucks from Sams Club in case I went through this issue with liquid bleach again. I know in general those are a no no on this forum but I never use my pool and backwash so often it may take me a few seasons before I ever get to a high level. I have the often recommended test kit from this forum to check CYA levels.

Ill check to see if we have those.

Yeah I forgot to mention I bought a bucket of pucks from Sams Club in case I went through this issue with liquid bleach again. I know in general those are a no no on this forum but I never use my pool and backwash so often it may take me a few seasons before I ever get to a high level. I have the often recommended test kit from this forum to check CYA levels.
Try a pool store.

but alas I am not a smart man.

I am glad I have one more in the not smart team. Was afraid it would remain a team of one

Circumstances have forced me to handle my aunt's pool myself (which is ironic because I have a person managing my own for the last 10 years) so I will be going through this heartache.

My source has been Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid for Swimming Pools, 1 Gallon - Walmart.com

Yes, they go OOS often but I have the walmart app installed on my phone and it tells you when it's back in stock if you add it to a list and it's a one button press from there. I will update this thread with my own journey if you like

It's been $6 ea shipped to my door. You can buy as many as you like and they wrap it up in reusable zip lock bags that I reuse a lot

If I need anymore this fall, I'll probably just go to the pool store. My local Walmart has cleared out all the pool supplies. Probably getting ready for Christmas.

Many stores in my area will stop carrying it as early as Late September if the weather gets cold sooner than expected. Luckily, I found liquid chlorine and Shock at my local Ace Hardware and my father and I typically buy it there. Ace would stop carrying it around Early October to start selling Holiday Decor like any other store that would only carry chlorine during the summer so many people end up closing pools while the weather is still warm in Michigan due to the stores not carrying the chlorine after the month of October begins. I was one of the lucky people to get chlorine in bulk every summer so I had it for the pool closing that is happening next month and I typically close the pool late and shock the pool prior to winterization, just so I have crystal clear water in the spring for my parents to be happy about once I reopen it next year.

Do pool stores in the US not sell bulk chlorine? There are multiple pool stores near me that sell chlorine in refillable 2.5 or 5 gallon containers, at around $5.5 CAD ($4 USD) a gallon.

The ACE store up the road has liquid chlorine in a huge container. We just take our re-fillable yellow 2.5 gallon jugs up there. Our pool stores also do the same thing.

I know in general those are a no no on this forum
What is a no no on this forum is not knowing what and how much you are adding to the pool. With you having and using a good test kit and knowing your backwashing habits the use of pucks/tablets works for you and your pool. Well done! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Newdude and proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.