Where has all the salt gone?

So with a new test kit and STIRRER on the way, I admit defeat this year as far as the SWG! There is supposedly a week of rain coming so there's still hope that the salt will get diluted and I will be able to turn on the freaking SWG. I'm not about to empty and refill to get it to work ... I'll just use liquid chlorine. Which is why I admit defeat, I had to go to Walmart and since I was there I picked up 3 bottles of LC for the rest of the season; that gives me 4 1/4 bottles to keep the pool's FC level up.

If we don't get the rain they're promising I'll try to figure it out next year; it really would be nice to use it! 🤣

Reactions: kul and Newdude
Realize that the only place it can go is splash out or out the waste valve from backwash. There is no other way to lose salt. Kinda like maintaining CYA during swim season, except you dont loose salt over winter.
You don't loose salt, but in my pool a significant amount of water gets pumped out when the pool is winterized to take the water level below the jets. Over the winter snow and rain fill up the pool, often to the very brim. When opening a bit of water is pumped out so that the pool is at the proper level. So every spring I have to had a few bags of salt to get it back up due to the dilution of the replacement water.

Reactions: Diane e

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I worked in a wet lab for a couple of years and used stirrers there. Not sure why i would ever use one on my pool. Not enough reagents or tests to warrant one on a pool. Just another unnecessary tool like having 4 wheel drive in town.

Not sure why i would need easier. It is a pool not community drinking water.

I used to work for a public water supply in the lab.

Not sure why i would need easier
Swirling 18 drops for salt gets annoying, as does CH where they have high CH fill water. My FC needs 20+ drops if I set my SWG the way I like, but I agree that my 60 TA isn't much different either way. :ROFLMAO:

Folks overwhelmingly love it once they get one. Like. Overwhelmingly- overwhelmingly.

But nothing pleases all the people all the time, so you do you. :cheers:

Reactions: RLP and HermanTX
It certain does make it easier, but the accuracy is what also makes it worth its weight in gold.

Especially if someone is having a problem.

Most people on here treat their pool water like drinking water. After all, you are swimming in it. Your entire body is in it. The water is in your nose, ears, eyes, and a few more places. Yep, I definitely treat it like drinking water. Or better....

This site is why I cant go in a pool other than mine, or my brothers. (Who turned me on to this site.)

i dont treat my pool like drinking water. If i did people would not be swimming in it.
It is not difficult to swirl a salt test 5 times a summer or a alkalinity 8 times a summer or pH/Cl weekly.
Some people enjoy gadgets. I think they are irrelevant. Like NewDude said, some do gadgets, some dont.
I would hope all on this site would be able to swirl a test, if they cant they probably should not be swimming or walking.

@Darin I purchased the mixer in case I'm missing out on anything since a lot of people swear by it here ... $50 is not going to kill me. I'll be the first to say great! or really? when the time comes. Like you said, there are people who like gadgets, for me it depends on things, pool stuff (other than a DE filter :) ) not so much! After 20 years of swirling as I said I pretty much perfected it. 🤣

As far as my salt situation, splashout - not at all except to get rid of the bird poop on the uprights. But with all that rain it could have been leaked out, I know that skimmer was oozing for a long time. Also with that rain, could the water not been mixed well - possibly since the water was above the weir door and it may be possible the salt/fresh water was separated and I was getting a false reading. It could also be bad reagent(s) even though they are in date. I can't say it's operator (me) error (I guess it's possible) on testing because it's 10 ml water, 1 drop of a reagent and multiple drops of the other. I can say it could be operator (me) error in not realizing how salt and fresh water reacts with each other, assuming the water was getting mixed properly and it wasn't; I was expecting similar results that the other tests give me.

The last test I did with the old reagents after we had some rain and I drained the pool a little, the salt level was still very high so no appreciable dilution yet! But more rain to come!!!(y)🤣

I think it is simply rain and fill water that caused this dilution. Trust your testing!
Circulate water thoroughly and then do one more test. I'll bet you find the same result. Add salt accordingly
Just for grins, do your normal pool salt test then take a pint or so of pool water and set it aside. ( ideally @ your target salt level).
Then next test next week (or whenever) compare the numbers, using the first sample as a control. Your control sample should not vary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.