Lehigh Acres, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I'm assuming that storing my the new pool test reagents I got from TFP outside close to the pool on a shelf is not recommended (even in the shade). I have been keeping them inside the house, but they give off enough of an odor to be annoying (especially to the roommate since she likes to complain about smells). So, is there a nice airtight container I should use to keep this stuff inside the house? I searched the forum and found this thread where a couple people said this tackle box is perfect Storage Box for Taylor Test Chemicals/Speed Stir/etc and I have the salt testing kit with stirring device too. Any other suggestions?

I'm assuming that storing my the new pool test reagents I got from TFP outside close to the pool on a shelf is not recommended (even in the shade). I have been keeping them inside the house, but they give off enough of an odor to be annoying (especially to the roommate since she likes to complain about smells). So, is there a nice airtight container I should use to keep this stuff inside the house? I searched the forum and found this thread where a couple people said this tackle box is perfect Storage Box for Taylor Test Chemicals/Speed Stir/etc and I have the salt testing kit with stirring device too. Any other suggestions?
There shouldnt be any smell. Are you sure all the bottles are capped off?

There shouldnt be any smell. Are you sure all the bottles are capped off?
Yes. There is a complete old test kit from the previous owner of this house. I have no idea how old. So I bought all new reagents from TFP, and even in their zip lock bags they shipped in, there is still an obvious odor. I had everything in a lower kitchen cabinet and it stunk.

I have all my reagents and extra stuff (vials, magnetic stirrers, etc) in a large tackle box stored in the utility room (washer & dryer room). There is a slight smell when I open it but it is the cloth I keep in there to wipe up any spills and to dry out the vials after use. The tackle box has a seal on it so it contains all the odors.

Reactions: treimche
Yes. There is a complete old test kit from the previous owner of this house. I have no idea how old. So I bought all new reagents from TFP, and even in their zip lock bags they shipped in, there is still an obvious odor. I had everything in a lower kitchen cabinet and it stunk.
Very weird. They sell zippered storage case for the TF-100 you might try. I dont notice a smell from mine.

And dont store them outside.

Reactions: generessler
Mine has been stored inside the air conditioned house in a laundry room cabinet for 8 years and has never emitted any odor. All reagents are positioned upright and not laying on their sides.

Clean the old kit container and all testing equipment. Wipe the new reagent bottles as well.

Last edited:
My kit is on the top shelf in my coat closet. Choice #2 would be that useless cabinet over the fridge. #3 would be under any sink.

This year's refill set didn't stink but all the previous ones did. Supposedly the reagents have no odor and I can't smell anything from the reagents themselves, verifying that.

Where it comes from, I have no clue. Lol. But with both my TF100 and my TFpro, I cannot smell them when closed.

This topic was brought up a few months ago; maybe some people can smell it and some people can't, but the kit 100% smells to me. Specifically the phenol red reagent. It is a VERY strong odor to me and as soon as the bottle is cracked open once, I'll smell it every time I open the case.

That being said, mine is stored in the laundry room in a cabinet and I never smell it unless I'm actively using the kit.