Where do you live?

Where do you live?

• Total voters
I live in Cypress. I'm a fifth generation Texan (for some of you, I should say "only" a fifth generation)! Born in Wichita Falls, moved to Abilene, back to Wichita Falls, then to Fort Stockton (favorite place with the nicest folks, at least back then), then drug up to Pampa in the panhandle. No offense, but it didn't seem quite like Texas up there, but loved the snow!! Austin was home base all those childhood years since our grandparents and other family lived there. Roots back to 1861 in the Austin area, Fruth Dairy Farms behind SRD with homes up the Drag and a ranch along Shoal Creek, way back when. Got my degree at UT (free room and board living with the grandmothers). Didn't want to leave, but had to eat so moved to Houston in 1977. Been in Cypress since '78. This is home and we love it!

Oh, wait a minute! You only asked where I live..... Sorry, as Paul Harvey would say, you also got "the rest of the story". Nice to meet ya'll (wherever you hail from) and take care! Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the bias in this survey is that those of us in the north are just now getting our pools ready and were not active on the forum at the time that the question was asked.

I didn't open my pool until last weekend, but I've left the safety cover on because of all of the tree @#$%^. I hate tree #$%^&. The cover will come off either this weekend or sometime next week. I can't wait to see if the massive tree removal from last year will help raise my water temp.

Uh-oh, so as everyone comes out of hibernation the tally is going to change???

Yeah, I have a serious love/hate relationship with my trees. I think I was able to stop hating them yesterday. It was the first day I got home from work and at least 50% of my pool wasn't covered in tree doodoo and my skimmer baskets jammed to overflowing. And we have so many trees with different timing of pollen, lollipop thingies, fuzzy doodads, wingy dingy thingys that it lasts 1-1/2 to 2 months, mid-March to Mid-May. As soon as one group is finished another starts. And we all know what trees do in the fall! :shock:

We have to be the only people in Texas with a black bottomed pool that is too cold. We had to add solar panels to keep the temp above 85 and they run even in August sometimes. But, they are beautiful and the shade is nice when it's 108 outside.

Whomever decided that tulip poplars en-mass were a good idea on a 2/3 acre lot... should have been shot! In their defense, my house was built in the 1950s, so it was before AC was widely used. But the pool was built in the 1980s, so that owner is really the one to blame.

The aerial view of my property didn't show the house or pool. My water never got over 72 degrees because it was in the shade all day. I now have 50% sun, but the neighbors also have tulip poplars along their side of the fence which blocks my morning sun. I've offered to pay 50% of the cost to remove their trees, but they aren't willing to do it.

I should have gotten into the tree removal business... very expensive here in the Washington DC metro. The last of the big trees on my lot are behind the pool, so they don't block the sun, but do drop their %$^ in the pool.

Sorry for the rant, but I've spent a fortune on tree removal since I moved in 4 years ago and still have a ways to go. It is a sensitive subject.

Rant over, for now, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.