where do you buy misc parts and supplies?

ramblinwreck001

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2023
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Where do you folks purchase basic parts for your pool equipment? What I mean is sub-$100 parts (misc cleaner parts, check valves, etc), not big/expensive equipment like robots or pumps.

I'm new to owning a pool, and in the last month have needed various parts for my equipment (e.g. Polaris 280 parts, check valves for plumbing, etc), and it has been much more difficult than I expected. My options seem to be:
  1. Go to local pool store (Leslies or Pinch A Penny), where I will overpay significantly, and probably have to wait for them to order anyway. And let's be honest, who here at TFP wants to go to the pool store. :)
  2. Order from Amazon which has become a complete cesspool of pop-up 3rd party companies selling low-quality knock-off parts being passed off as OEM parts. (I've already had to return a number of fake parts for my Polaris 280).
  3. Order from some other online pool suppliers, and take the shipping hit on small orders. Even this seems hit or miss depending on what I'm looking for, either they don't have what I need or the shipping makes it cost prohibitive for small orders.
I don't even mind paying a reasonable shipping fee, because Amazon isn't really "free" if I have to spend 30 minutes sorting through sellers to find a decent one and/or have to make multiple trips for returns.

Case in point -- right now I'm looking for a replacement Jandy check valve flapper (Jandy 7056). If I search "Jandy 7056" on Amazon I get a list of no-name knock-offs. This one (Amazon.com) looks promising based on the description, but is only sold by shady looking resellers, overseas and/or brand new with zero ratings or history, and not fulfilled by Amazon which means returns are gonna be a hassle and likely at cost to me.

What gives? Where do you folks buy your parts? I don't want crappy knock-off parts that fail prematurely, I prefer to pay a little more for OEM parts that I know will work. Are there trustworthy online retailers in the pool world friendly to folks like us?

If I need something in a hurry, I will drive 30 minutes to the pool installer that built my pool, your right they are not cheap, but I tell everyone, a pool is a luxury, and luxuries are not cheap.

If I have time, I use INYOPOOLS

for the check valves if you dont want the atie aftermarket version, I would be inclined to ebay the complete jandy 7305. There are several of them in the <$40 range and you would either be left with a spare body or could turn around and ebay the body (they look to go for ~$25). Since the seller generally posts a photo of the actual item, it's often a higher likelyhood for these kind of parts to receive what you ordered vs amazon.

Reactions: ramblinwreck001
+1. If I'm sure of the part and it's no rush, I'll order it online. If I want it now or need to match up a specific O-ring (etc etc), or I need a specific O-ring *now*, the pool store is great.

Also remember that Jandy parts are particularly problematic because, a couple of years ago, they declared quite loud and proud that they were “leaving the internet!!!” (bunch of cry-babies 🙄). So for Jandy stuff, real OEM parts are only available through Jandy distributors.

Also remember that Jandy parts are particularly problematic because, a couple of years ago, they declared quite loud and proud that they were “leaving the internet!!!” (bunch of cry-babies 🙄). So for Jandy stuff, real OEM parts are only available through Jandy distributors.
Interesting. I'm new to the pool world, but I was sort of getting this vibe when looking for a new pool filter recently (I have a recent thread for this). And it absolutely turned me off getting a Jandy filter, which, unsurprisingly, is what all the local companies wanted to install for me, and now I understand why: because they are Jandy distributors. Went with Pentair instead, which seems much easier to get parts for.

My PB tried to switch me to Jandy for build #2. When pressed he reluctantly agreed to use Pentair. He knew from pool #1 that he'd never see me for parts/service so I bet the profit margin is better with Jandy too.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.