Jun 6, 2018
Simpsonville, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Apologize in advance for the long post.

I am not sure if this a testing issue or a chlorine injection issue (or other).

On 4/9 to 4/10 I accidentally let my stenner pump run for about a day instead of the planned 1 hour. This was pumping new 12-15% chlorine using the 10 gpd (max) setting. My estimation is that about 7-8 gallons were pumped out of the chlorine reservoir (using my unofficial dipstick measuring method). There was definitely a chlorine smell in the pool area that day. I did not test that day.

The stenner is normally on a timer set to run maybe 10 mins or less this time of year, but I wanted to raise the level a bit as it was low. Anyway I turned the stenner off completely after this since I just put over 1 month of chlorine into the pool. The pool pump was not running the entire time the stenner was running. Pool pump runs about 15 hours a day right now.

On 4/14 I test the water as I am going to be away the following week. Results 1.5 PPM FC. (3 drops using 10 ml test). Weird. I assume the powder is bad so order new power when on vacation.

Get back from vacation yesterday. Test with new powder...still 1.5 PPM. Figure maybe the level is too high to get results. I dilute the sample 50% with tap water and retest...2 drops this time so roughly 2 PPM (so effectively no change).

So I then run the pump for an hour wait 2 hours to test (pool pump at 2500 rpm)...still 1.5 PPM.

I have a solar cover so keeping a consistent FC level this time of year despite not adding any chlorine is not crazy.

I am stumped at this point. Seems either I am pumping chlorine into the void or I am getting bad test results.

Changes for this year:
New pentair intelliflo. running at 1250 rpm vs previous 1hp hayward superpump.
Replaced stenner pump tube, injection check valve, suction line strainer, all tubing, and ferells. Also moved stenner about 2 feet so that if I get another leak it won't splash the pump motor.

Stenner pump confirmed working by removing tube from injection check valve. All equipment is inside the pump house so any chlorine leaking within would be very noticeable. Chlorine reservoir is located a few feet from the pump house and is 90% buried.

Even last night both my wife and I could smell the chlorine at the pool.

So assuming test is good, where is the chlorine going?

What should I do next? I was thinking just adding a half gallon or so of chlorine directly and confirming a change in test tesults.

What should I do next? I was thinking just adding a half gallon or so of chlorine directly and confirming a change in test tesults.
Run the pump for 30 minutes with dolphin running. Test your FC. Add 1 or 2ppm by hand with pump and dolphin running. Retest FC 30 minutes later to confirm your LC is good.

Even last night both my wife and I could smell the chlorine at the pool.
Did you just open the pool? Did you test CC? What is the CC test result? What is your pH? Can you post a full set of results?

Do you use pool math? Can you go to home page, click the gear in the upper right and scroll to bottom and enable log sharing. Make sure you are logged into Pool math with your TFP login.

Last edited:
Pool has been open since mid March, but I completed the pump replacement in late March.

I use pool math but don't log consistently.

I don't generally check CC as it is always 0 when I do test
CYA is was ~ 10 at opening
PH was 7.4 Sunday

Running the pump for 30 mins and adding manually would be 2 different tests right?

Running the pump for 30 mins and adding manually would be 2 different tests right?
Run the pump for 30 minutes with dolphin running. This is to mix the water.
Test your FC. This is to get a baseline FC
Add 2ppm by hand with pump and dolphin running. This should add FC to your water.
Retest FC 30 minutes later to confirm your LC is good. This test should show the 2ppm increase.

Sorry, misinterpreted 'pump' as the stenner pump. The pool pump is running 15 hrs a day at low speed so it should be well mixed but I can run it at high speed for a bit before testing. The robot was in the pool cleaning all day on Sunday (as i cleaned off the solar cover which caused a mess) when I last tested.

I feel like I should say the pool was clear on opening (closed and opened with water temp < 60 F).