Where did I mess up?

I was tied up on Sunday fixing some piping issues and working on my deck.
After tuning off the SWG.
I did however, have about 2lbs of shock that I put in it. I will be getting more today.
To get my TA up I added 13lbs of baking soda. Added this 1st to make sure pH is consistant.
Will get pH up next. It was below 6.8 on the test block. So now that TA should be a little higher, which should effect pH a little, I'll get pH up more.
Just circulated most of the day and filtered overnight.

I'll get some up-to-date test results this evening.

Tested with the K-1000 kit. Seems it was bright yellow. A little brighter than the 5 level. My PH is better. Seems about 7.2.

Will test FC tonight.

Update test 6/11/13 Full test run

FC -7.5 (a bit high according to pool school but not Chem Geek chart. Which should I follow)
CC -.5-1(dropped 2nd drop too fast. should be .5)
Total Cl via Test(adding FC and CC) - 8/8.5; via k-1000 test - 6+(a little darker yellow than 6)
PH - 7.5
TA - 120
CH - 210
CYA - 90 (possibly 80-85 depending on how much lighting is around, more light I can see the dot more) Pool is in full sun all day and I live in south Louisiana
Salt - test strip says 6.4=2850, SWG says 3100 , which should I go with?

With these results, can I turn my SWG on? I have a 40K Aqua Rite system. I run the pump 10-11 hours in 24 hours. 1/2 middle of day, 1/2 middle night. Should I start with a 50% or lower setting?
Also, water is slightly cloudy. However, I've only ran the filter on filter for the last 24hours on/off. All circulation was on re-circulate before.

Have you passed the 3 criteria to stop the shock process? Realize that 1 of them is that the water is crystal clear ...

If your CYA is 90ppm, then you should be maintaining a shock FC level between 23ppm and 35ppm ... this is done with the SWG off and the filter running 24/7.

I didn't do the shock process yet. Water is fairly clear, just kinda hazy looking. I can see the bottom and things on it.

Will shocking it mess up any of my other test results?
I'm guessing it would be best to shock with bleach. The pool calculator should have the shock formula, right?

I work during the day so I can't babysit it during the week. If I get the shock levels to where I need, can I leave it for 8-10 hours and not worry?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I have a FC of 7.5. To shock I wanna hit 30. Pool Calculator says I need 957oz/just over 7 gallons. I guess that is about right?

I work during the day so I can't babysit it during the week. If I get the shock levels to where I need, can I leave it for 8-10 hours and not worry?
On days that you work, raise to shock level before work and raise it several times to shock level after you get home.

In fact, the more you can do in the evenings after the sun is off the pool, the faster things will progress.

I don't think you buy 6% bleach anymore. It seems everyone is selling 8.25% extra strength. The walMart Great Value is least expensive around here but the 10% liquid chlorinator in the toys or garden section ends up costing less and mean less boxes and jugs to recycle.

You may want to see what is cheaper and works for you.

techguy said:
I don't think you buy 6% bleach anymore. It seems everyone is selling 8.25% extra strength. The walMart Great Value is least expensive around here but the 10% liquid chlorinator in the toys or garden section ends up costing less and mean less boxes and jugs to recycle.

You may want to see what is cheaper and works for you.

Thanks for the tip.

Couldn't get the HTH liquid chlorinator bottles. Bought some 8.25% and added 5 gallons. After testing I got a FC of 32. A little more than what I wanted. When testing CC, it barely turned pink. Sample had a slight and I mean slight tint.

I'll run a test in the morning to see what is going on. Still running pump on filter.

Keep in mind. This was a new pool, new water with no algae or anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.