When to drain water during heavy rain?

May 1, 2018
Lake Charles, LA
So, we live in LA and are about to get slammed with a tropical storm. We've had a ton of rain yesterday and today already, and our water line is about 2" from the inside top of the skimmer. We have a vinyl pool, 3 wks in, deck is not finished yet. Our pool chemistry is spot on finally except for TA, but that is down to 120 from 180, so we are continuing to work on that with the TFP suggested methods in lowering TA. My question is...how much water is too much? Should we drain now a little now or wait and see? drain later? remember we have no decking yet. Our PB likes to wait 6wks to make sure ground is compacted.

Ok, so keep the water level normal and dump as needed? My husband let out a little bit about an hour ago. It is still a little higher than mid skimmer. We will keep an eye on it. We are on the west side of the state, so our rain will not be quite as bad as the east side.

Is this an in-ground pool? Is this a common occurrence in your area? Did the PB install an overflow device? And if not, can he, before the decking is done? Is the skimmer surrounded by concrete? The PB might be able to add an overflow outlet to the skimmer (that's just a guess, but it's feasible).

None of that will help your pending storm situation, but this might be addressable before the deck goes down if you're looking at this issue reoccurring forever (or worse, while you're away on vacation).

I know it's different from location to location, but I don't understand why every pool doesn't have both auto-fill and overflow systems. At least overflow.

Yes, in ground pool. We live 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, so yes, common occurance. We don't get a hurricane every year, but usually a tropical storm or depression along with a few bad rain storms. I have no idea about the overflow, but I will be asking. I have no idea if there is concrete around the skimmer under the dirt that is there. We do have a pipe near the pool equipment that they showed us how to open up to drain water from the pool. Maybe that's it? I have no clue, but that's what my husband used to drain a little water this morning. It worked super fast, too.

An overflow system requires no effort on your part. You know that little hole in your bathroom sink, near the top of the sink? When you leave the faucet running the water gets up to that hole then flows into the drain, without going over your counter. That's how a pool overflow system works. It's set to keep your water from getting too high in the pool, and any water that enters your pool above that amount diverts into the overflow tube and runs out, somewhere appropriate: street, gutter, drainage ditch, etc. Like wherever your gutters drain to.

Was the pump running when your husband drained water, and the water came out really fast? That's something else. That is used to drain a pool, but doesn't do so automatically.

Here's a picture of a skimmer with an overflow port (the small round opening on the side). If you happen to have one, then it's possible it could still be run somewhere in your yard (that's why I was asking if your skimmer is already encased in gunite or concrete, which would make adding the necessary pipe much more difficult). If your skimmer has no overflow port, I'm not sure if one can be fashioned "after market" in some way. Something your PB could tell you (though he won't want to, probably).

skimmer.jpg

An overflow system requires no effort on your part. You know that little hole in your bathroom sink, near the top of the sink? When you leave the faucet running the water gets up to that hole then flows into the drain, without going over your counter. That's how a pool overflow system works. It's set to keep your water from getting too high in the pool, and any water that enters your pool above that amount diverts into the overflow tube and runs out, somewhere appropriate: street, gutter, drainage ditch, etc. Like wherever your gutters drain to.

Was the pump running when your husband drained water, and the water came out really fast? That's something else. That is used to drain a pool, but doesn't do so automatically.

Here's a picture of a skimmer with an overflow port (the small round opening on the side). If you happen to have one, then it's possible it could still be run somewhere in your yard (that's why I was asking if your skimmer is already encased in gunite or concrete, which would make adding the necessary pipe much more difficult). If your skimmer has no overflow port, I'm not sure if one can be fashioned "after market" in some way. Something your PB could tell you (though he won't want to, probably).

View attachment 86002

Yes, I do see that on the side of our skimmer. There is nothing connected to it, though? I will ask! thanks for pointing that out!

Bingo. Is it all covered in concrete on the outside? Or exposed? Can you see a path, for a pipe, from it to somewhere appropriate to drain water? If so, that should be an easy fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.