When to clean filter?

nonissan

Mar 21, 2023
Jacksonville, FL
Good evening TFP

I changed my pump a few months ago to run 24/7 on around 1500 rpms. Things seem to be going well with this setup

Except, I've had the flow light come on my salt cell maybe 3 times in these past months. Not a huge deal to clean the filters, but the main reason I switched to 24/7 was TFP told me having the flow light come on could be dangerous

So, my question is, how do I preemptively know when I'll need to clean the filters? The ethos here is 25% over the clean filter psi, but I just cleaned them today, and the starting psi is only around 2 psi... so 25% over that would only be 2.5 psi, which is very low variance, IMO

Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated!

Tim

Raise your rpm to 3000 and take note of the clean psi reading. At some point down the road bring the rpm up to the same 3000 and see where the psi is up to in relation to 25% increase. You also may be at the borderline of the salt cell flow switch. Bring it up 100 rpm to be sure it's satisfied.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There are a few schools of thought on how to address. Wireform's is one way, and the way I use...because you get very little pressure rise at low RPM when a filter is getting dirty. <--the reason to use a higher RPM to gauge 25% increase.

You can also try this... Run your pump rpm down until the SWCG shuts off. Add 100 RPM and round up to the nearest 100. Multiply that rpm by 20-25%, and run at that speed. This will give you dirty filter protection. Mine kicks off about 1300. 1.2 x 1300 = 1560. I run mine at 1600RPM, gives me dirty filter protection.

In the end, either way will give you protection...you just need to monitor.

You can also try this... Run your pump rpm down until the SWCG shuts off. Add 100 RPM and round up to the nearest 100. Multiply that rpm by 20-25%, and run at that speed. This will give you dirty filter protection. Mine kicks off about 1300. 1.2 x 1300 = 1560. I run mine at 1600RPM, gives me dirty filter protection.

I understand the math, but not the theory here. Your numbers don't sound too far off from mine. So let's say I run my pump at 1600. My psi would still be registering next to nil. How would I know when to clean the filters? Or do you just run at 25% over shutoff and clean at a regular interval?

Thank you both for your answers!

My psi would still be registering next to nil. How would I know when to clean the filters?
Run priming speed after cleaning the filter and write the PSI down somewhere. Anytime you want to check to see if it's time, run prime speed again and compare. Then go back to low RPM/psi.

Reactions: PoolStored
no,

I don't think we are seeing the whole picture... :(

I say this because you have a 420 sq. ft. filter and should be able to run 6 month to a year before having to clean it.

I find it very odd that your SWCG flow light has come on three times in a month.. :scratch:

In 10 years, my flow light has never come on due to a dirty filter..

Either you are running way too low of a speed or you have algae..

Do you have a heater??

Do you have massive amounts of dirt or debris falling into your pool each day?

Show us some pics of your equipment pad and maybe we can spot something..

I don't know the answer, but something does not smell right... :mrgreen:

In my opinion, the idea that you should clean your filter at 25% over clean pressure, is a general rule that applies much more to single speed pumps than it does VS pumps.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey Jim,

I said 'a few' months ago, not 1... I looked back, and it was around March 21st that I made the rpm change, so 5 months ago. Still, I agree 3 cleanings is a bit much

No heater

I do have A LOT of debris... a hairy dog, and many overhanging trees with Spanish Moss

My screen was in pretty bad shape and very clogged, so I ordered a new one. Not sure how much that will help

I'm going to bump up the rpms a bit and report back

Thanks!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
no,

Sorry, I misread your post..

Do you use hair nets or skimmer socks in your Skimmers?? I love them for keeping my filter cleaner...

Could also be your plumbing, just depends on how and where the SWCG is plumbed in..

I'd run at 1600 and see what happens. Still seems high for not having a heater. I run at 1200 RPM.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Getitrite

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.