When to buy a new spa cover?

snuggler

Dec 6, 2021
Newark, New Jersey
Hi fellow spa owners!

I have owned a used spa for a few years now that came along with our house. The cover has always had a dip on one side, and that allows rain to pool in that part of the cover instead of rolling off. I'm always lifting the cover to remove that pool of water.

Additionally, when I open the spa, the edges of the inside of the spa cover look wet, unlike the rest of the cover.

Does this mean my cover is toast? Do I need to buy a new one? It seems to still retain heat well, and keep critters/leaves out, which is the main reason to have the cover. But I can replace if needed.

No reason to buy a new spa cover if it is working for you.

When the cover gets water logged and heavy and you get disgusted with the way it looks you will know it is time.

I'd say when the vinyl outer fabric layer is cracked and toast is when you buy a new one. If the foam is water logged, you can replace it with XPS rigid home insulation board for about $100. That stuff is closed cell, so will be less prone to absorbing water even without the plastic wrapping they to to the OEM foam. Don't forget to swap the metal channel reinforcement from the original foam or it will sag though. I have an earlier post showing how I did this on mine if you are curious.

The bottom of my cover is grey. It looks like the edges are wet / waterlogged.

Upon closer inspection, the edges are the original darker grey. The middle part, over the water, is bleached out. It looks like the edges are soaked because they are darker, but in reality, they are just the darker original color.