When to add CYA? SLAM chlorine or regular dose?

Goshdurnit

Apr 4, 2021
Palmdale, CA
Just got the 14.3k gallon pool replastered- it was filled and acid bathed for 4 days, then pump turned on. Now I’m at day 12 of the pump being on, of 16 total days of curing.

Pebble tec recommendations say on day 7 to add CYA. Pool store says wait another week. Ph is 7.2, TA is 80. Chlorine is basically zero - gonna add some this morning but not sure if I should SLAM or regular dose.

Just got a TF Pro test kit - loving the smart stir! I fired my pool guy, I’m the pool guy now. Also loving the poolmath app.

Just got the 14.3k gallon pool replastered- it was filled and acid bathed for 4 days, then pump turned on. Now I’m at day 12 of the pump being on, of 16 total days of curing.

Pebble tec recommendations say on day 7 to add CYA. Pool store says wait another week. Ph is 7.2, TA is 80. Chlorine is basically zero - gonna add some this morning but not sure if I should SLAM or regular dose.

Just got a TF Pro test kit - loving the smart stir! I fired my pool guy, I’m the pool guy now. Also loving the poolmath app.
Follow the directions of whomever is warrantying your plaster. If you don’t have chlorine, you don’t need CYA. Stay out of the pool store. 😉

Generally you don’t want to add chlorine to new plaster before it’s finished curing so SLAM wouldn’t be recommended or even needed unless you have algae or are failing an overnight chlorine loss test.

My pebble tec guy basically said “just keep the ph low” but no recommendations for the rest of startup, just reading the pebble tec online startup procedures. My pebbletec guy didn’t even tell me to not run the heater and “don’t use wheeled cleaners,” so I’m just following pebbletec guides mostly.

So, just regular amount of chlorine, and add pebble tec’s recommended amount of CYA for now?

Oops, and now I’ve got a tiny ring of algae around the pool from not having enough chlorine in there the past couple days. Guess I’m SLAM-ing after all
I’m not sure I’d go above normal chlorine levels with new plaster. All the guides I see say keeping lower for the first 30 days but I’m no expert on pebble tech. Maybe keep CYA at 20-30 so you don’t need as much chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.