When is it best to chlorinate after Stabilizer?

Just checked my CYA - 5PPM and I added about 6llbs on Monday - is the algae bloom eating it? Add more or wait until pool clears after chlorinating? Thanks - ordered CYA of TFT

Monday I added approx 6llbs granular Stabilizer to skimmer after mixed in hot water bucket - 20K gallon pool

How did you get a reading of 5ppm? The test only goes down to 20 or 30ppm :scratch:

How did you add the CYA? Mixed with water and then poured in skimmer?
Did you clean your filter after that?

It is impossible to know when the CYA is fully dissolved when it is in the filter. Thus our recommendation to use a sock or t-shirt. It can take up to a week to show up on the test ... so I would not worry about it at this point.

I can't help too much with the current issues, although regardless of how minor you think it is, if you have visible algae and the experts here are recommending a full SLAM, I would go ahead and do it; it really can't hurt and you'll know you got it and are starting clean.

For next winter, my experience in our climate where we don't have to flush/truly close (first year pool owner, so take with a grain of salt!) is that if you can get under part of the cover, just maintaining the chlorine level is a good idea. With no cover, I was able to add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine from Home Depot every few weeks (so cost less than $20 total for Nov-Feb) and stay above the min level. Since nobody's swimming in it to care if it's high for a while, I just put it in a gallon at a time. I know algae isn't supposed to grow at temps under 60 degrees F, but that's such a short time here that it doesn't seem worth risking.

I have had clear water all winter, including the couple weeks when I shut the pump and Polaris off because the leaves were clogging them, until I could get in with a leaf rake and clean them off the bottom. The water temp was in the 40s then though. I was wishing for a cover initially, but now I wonder if it's easier to just deal with the leaves than to wrestle a cover on and off (especially a tight safety cover) and still have to deal with the junk that lands on top of it.

thanks for the input - is there a link to the sock / t shirt method? thanks

- as far as the cover , I have a electronic safety cover and leaves still find there way under there and cause issues.

I'm probably going to maintain the levels a bit more next winter to see how it affects the opening .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.