When /if to use Super Chlorinate on SWG ?

parkinsmith

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2021
Clifton Texas, Lake Whitney
Hi
Our pool is fairly new , this is the first spring summer . I am curious as to when or if I need to use the super chlorinate on the SWG .

Found a dead Rat in the pool today , is this a reason to use the Super Chlorinate feature ? If so, how do I utilize the feature?

Another question , outside of an algae issue under what circumstances would I use the Super CHlorinate feature on the SWG .

Is there an occasion where not using the Super Chlorinate feature but using regular shock in the pool is necessary ?

My chlorine levels are always good , they can run a tad high at times with SWG . I have had to lower SWG % to keep them in the TFP suggested range.

Looking forward to feedback !

Jennifer

Super chlorinate feature is simply a way to get 100% output through SWG without adjusting your dial. Flip the switch and whalaaa. I used it once after a large amount of people were in pool but only for a few hours. Now I'd just use liquid chlorine (not granule shock) to get #'s back up if I needed to.

Reactions: parkinsmith
Super chlorinate feature will run at 100% for 24 hrs then STOPS generating, have to turn swith back to auto mode, don't forget. Atleast on my hayward that is the way it works. I use liquid chlorine also like stated above cause I am to forgetful, and it just works faster.

Reactions: Newdude
If your combined chlorine gets a tad north of 0.5 to 1.0 ppm, you'll want to hit the 100% mode on the SWG. I usually hit it a few days before a business trip. And it returns to the normal setting after a time-out (mine is an IC-40, I think it 's 24 hours of run time). Make sure you buy a TFT-100 test kit if you don't have one, really worth the money. I have found that by using a SWG and a Pool Bot Vacuum, my pool really is TROUBLE FREE after startup SLAM every year.

Jen,

I have three saltwater pools that are about 10 years old.. I have never used Super-Chlorinate. :mrgreen:

I don't have anything against someone that wants to use it, but I have never seen the need.

I keep my FC at my Target or above. This means I never have to worry that my FC will drop too low. I don't see a dead rat as an issue, unless you let him float in the pool for a week.

In these 10 years, none of my pools have had algae. (I have said this before...) I am almost embarrassed when asked SLAM questions, as I have never had to perform a SLAM. ;)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Super chlorinate feature will run at 100% for 24 hrs then STOPS generating, have to turn swith back to auto mode, don't forget. Atleast on my hayward that is the way it works. I use liquid chlorine also like stated above cause I am to forgetful, and it just works faster.
Thank you . It sounds like liquid is the best way to go for sure .
Jen,

I have three saltwater pools that are about 10 years old.. I have never used Super-Chlorinate. :mrgreen:

I don't have anything against someone that wants to use it, but I have never seen the need.

I keep my FC at my Target or above. This means I never have to worry that my FC will drop too low. I don't see a dead rat as an issue, unless you let him float in the pool for a week.

In these 10 years, none of my pools have had algae. (I have said this before...) I am almost embarrassed when asked SLAM questions, as I have never had to perform a SLAM. ;)

Thanks,

Jim R.
Awesome ... THANKS so much . I have been doing the same with my FC and keeping my FC/CYA within the ratio. The dead Rat likley go in overnight and we got it out first thing this AM . I do notice that for some reason the SWG sometimes gets the Chlorine too high but never low . I just back it down when that happens.

Jen,

The cell is as dumb as a rock, as it has no brain. You are the cell's brain. It only does what you tell it to do. It does not have a clue about how much FC is in the water, it just makes whatever amount of chlorine you tell it to make.

This is why I run at my target or higher. If you try to keep your FC right at your target, you'd have to adjust the cell about 10 times a day. Running your FC a little hot, has no downside, while running your FC too low, is full of bad news. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I usually SLAM on opening (and usually don't have the need to).....except this year the pool came up green (different thread, big problem with Amnonnia).
I agree, I keep FC above target also and never have the need all season to Super-Chloinate (or SLAM). I have been very happy with my IC-40 (and using the robot vac makes my pool almost Trouble-Free)......But I do super-chlorinate as a backstop/insurance policy just in case when I am gone for a 5+ days on a biz trip. Why not? It's free. These days that's hard to find.

Another question , outside of an algae issue under what circumstances would I use the Super CHlorinate feature on the SWG .
Btw - super chlorinate on the swg will not overcome an algae problem for that you would need to do the
SLAM Process
Is there an occasion where not using the Super Chlorinate feature but using regular shock in the pool is necessary ?
If by “shock” you mean liquid chlorine then yes:
If you have algae, the cc’s are above .5, fc has fallen to zero or you have failed an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
you should do the
SLAM Process with liquid chlorine.

If you have a diaper/fecal accident or a dead animal in the pool you should raise to slam level
FC/CYA Levels
with liquid chlorine.

If you are having a party/high bather load situation dose a little higher than target in advance & then afterwards with liquid chlorine to be sure you’re covered & help oxidize all the bather waste, sunscreen etc.
(You can use super chlorinate for this if you do it in advance like the day before & then remember to check the settings later)
If your swg isn’t maintaining target 🎯
FC/CYA Levels dose with liquid chlorine to target & adjust the swg settings.
A swg is a good maintainer- it makes a little fc over a long period of time. When you need chlorine now you need to use liquid chlorine.
This is The most fc your swg can produce in your pool in 24/hours
👇
E6194BA7-6F5F-49DC-B9A3-9AD60B6D5AAE.png
That’s roughly 0.32 fc/hr. So not very much help for most of the instances listed above.
As mentioned above super chlorinate just puts the swg on this setting.
Also, your swg cell has a finite life expectancy of around 8-10K hrs @100% so using those hours up fruitlessly for the reasons above is kinda silly.
I hope this helps you have a better understanding of what the swg can & cannot do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jen,

The cell is as dumb as a rock, as it has no brain. You are the cell's brain. It only does what you tell it to do. It does not have a clue about how much FC is in the water, it just makes whatever amount of chlorine you tell it to make.

This is why I run at my target or higher. If you try to keep your FC right at your target, you'd have to adjust the cell about 10 times a day. Running your FC a little hot, has no downside, while running your FC too low, is full of bad news. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks , that is my plan , being new at this trying to get exact target was driving me crazy :)

Btw - super chlorinate on the swg will not overcome an algae problem for that you would need to do the
SLAM Process

If by “shock” you mean liquid chlorine then yes:
If you have algae, the cc’s are above .5, fc has fallen to zero or you have failed an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
you should do the
SLAM Process with liquid chlorine.

If you have a diaper/fecal accident or a dead animal in the pool you should raise to slam level
FC/CYA Levels
with liquid chlorine.

If you are having a party/high bather load situation dose a little higher than target in advance & then afterwards with liquid chlorine to be sure you’re covered & help oxidize all the bather waste, sunscreen etc.
(You can use super chlorinate for this if you do it in advance like the day before & then remember to check the settings later)
If your swg isn’t maintaining target 🎯
FC/CYA Levels dose with liquid chlorine to target & adjust the swg settings.
A swg is a good maintainer- it makes a little fc over a long period of time. When you need chlorine now you need to use liquid chlorine.
This is The most fc your swg can produce in your pool in 24/hours
👇
View attachment 484668
That’s roughly 0.32 fc/hr. So not very much help for most of the instances listed above.
As mentioned above super chlorinate just puts the swg on this setting.
Also, your swg cell has a finite life expectancy of around 8-10K hrs @100% so using those hours up fruitlessly for the reasons above is kinda silly.
I hope this helps you have a better understanding of what the swg can & cannot do.
Thank you so much this is VERY helpful info. Question , in the scenerio of having a pool party when you say dose a little above target in advance you talking about higher than my normal Chlorine target correct? Also how do I figure out how much to add after a party event ?

Question , in the scenerio of having a pool party when you say dose a little above target in advance you talking about higher than my normal Chlorine target correct?
Yes. Judge each party before hand. Some adults lounging around won't make nearly the added organics that a 15 kid birthday party would.

I'll usually go to half SLAM levels in the mid teens for my CYA of 70 beforehand. Often times, I'll utilize boost mode the evening before, when I'm already at or above target.

I will produce more overnight than i would have versus my typical 40% ot 60% to get a head start, and have 100% production through the party. The unit will revert back to its previous level at 24 hours and I don't have to remember it. After the party, I will test and dose accordingly, but rarely have dropped back into target range. Often times I will use boost mode again after the party, in case any leftovers organics are still swirling around If the party was a blowout.

I have a large pool with 34k gallons and a gallon of 10% is 2.9 FC. It costs me considerably less to run the SWG for an equal amount of FC. With a pool half that size, you'll likely break even instead of saving, but it still saves you the effort of getting the jugs.

If you're anywhere near minimum, you need a *now* boost, and LC will accomplish that in minutes. If you're free and clear above min, feel free to utilize boost mode because you bought the SWG to help out, not to leave it sitting on the sidelines while you lugged jugs anyway.

10(?) hours off the 10k hour lifespan of the cell is a pennance and you'll never miss it, even if you have 2 parties a month.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Depending upon the situation I would go a scootch above high target
I normally have a cya of 80 & normally maintain my fc somewhere around 7 or 8ppm
6C827B96-3500-481B-9672-2ABB760BE6A2.jpeg
For a kid party I will dose to 11/12ppm with liquid chlorine & then check it again after the party is over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.