May 11, 2022
NYS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon,
Several threads on TFP discuss opening inground pool when water temp is close to 60°f . Other threads state it’s better to open early rather than late. Those threads are a couple of years old, so I’m curious if there are current suggestions. Its cool and dreary today, but next week a 80°f is the projected air temp.

current pool temp: 48°f
current air temp: 52°f
projected air temp (7 day forecast):
L 30°f - H 80°f

Thanks!

The entire country is going through some wacky weather. :crazy: Your water is still nice and chilly, but the general rule is open as soon as you can - or that is practical for you and your conditions. Best to get the system up & running again before algae wakes up.

Reactions: Annabelle Mae
Good afternoon,
Several threads on TFP discuss opening inground pool when water temp is close to 60°f . Other threads state it’s better to open early rather than late. Those threads are a couple of years old, so I’m curious if there are current suggestions. Its cool and dreary today, but next week a 80°f is the projected air temp.

current pool temp: 48°f
current air temp: 52°f
projected air temp (7 day forecast):
L 30°f - H 80°f

Thanks!
I'm in Ohio. Looks like our last freeze here will be Saturday. I intend to open Sunday.

Last frost date here is 4/15. Generally, I look at the 10 day forecast starting April 5th every year (10 days out from last frost date). And recheck everyday. The date of the last freezing low, I open right after that... Check this for where you are located...

Last edited:
Reactions: Annabelle Mae
Likewise, we suggest closing late when the water cools to 60º or less. This *assumes* you're maintaining the pool until then so your closing late gives you the best chance to open to a clear pool in the spring.

Maddie :Flower:

In NW VA. We closed last year mid October with 60 degree water temp. Opened yesterday, 56 degree water and this is what it looks like today. 8 1/2 foot deep end and wind rippling the surface. IMG_2397.jpeg

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.