What's your current pool temp?

Danny -
Just curious - how cool does it get overnight? Do you like the pool that warm, or is it just a fact of life in the desert - covering to conserve water?

It's a little of both. My wife likes it hot, since we typically swim at night and there's usually a decent breeze. Wind + dry air = freezing cold skin, even if it's actually hot out. I haven't owned the pool for a whole summer yet, but with the sun (12 hrs direct right now, only going to increase) and wind (always), we lose about 1/2-3/4 inch a day if left uncovered. The fill water is high TA and CH, so I try to keep evap down as much as possible. If I leave it uncovered overnight, it loses 6-8 degrees.

no-mas said:
[quote="Melt In The Sun":gbwgz8fb]...we lose about 1/2-3/4 inch a day if left uncovered....
Ouch!

Thanks -[/quote:gbwgz8fb]
no-mas, we keep the pool temp at 89 during the week and crank it to 94 on the weekends. We too like to swim in the night and I put the solar back on after we use the pool. I have not had to add water to the pool since last year. :cheers: :cheers:

81 solar driven. Outdoor temp is 70 degrees but if there is sun we get heat. It has dropped to 76 one day since our solar was installed and that was a very rainy day. We have not had several back to back cloudy or rainy days to see what happens (Our pool was finished about 8 weeks ago.)

Ours now is 90 degrees- wife loves it, but it's too warm for me. Here in Louisiana, it's HOT and HUMID- max evap loss per day is maybe 1/4 inch. Running the pump 24/7 now with the fountain on and the jets pointed upward for surface agitation, but it's still staying HOT.

We have a darker liner just installed this year- I think it DOES make a difference. If you swim down during broad daylight, on the sunny parts, the floor feels warmer than the water is, but the shaded parts same temp as the water.
Any tips out there for cooling the water?

JMarch said:
Ours now is 90 degrees- wife loves it, but it's too warm for me. Here in Louisiana, it's HOT and HUMID- max evap loss per day is maybe 1/4 inch. Running the pump 24/7 now with the fountain on and the jets pointed upward for surface agitation, but it's still staying HOT.

We have a darker liner just installed this year- I think it DOES make a difference. If you swim down during broad daylight, on the sunny parts, the floor feels warmer than the water is, but the shaded parts same temp as the water.
Any tips out there for cooling the water?

A lot of pools out here have the fountains built in to the sides of the pool to cool them down. That is what I am fixing next on mine. I believe you can also get ones that float in the middle of the pool though. The more difficult part would be, getting the positive pressure from the pump to run it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It amazes me how hot many of you want your pool - I am not being rude, just sincerely amazed :-D! When mine gets to 85 I think it's too hot! My kids and I will get in at 72...maybe even 70 if we really want to swim. Last I checked, our pool is about 72! Planning on jumping in tomorrow!

Trying to stay below 90. Solar cover off, don't really need the solar system even right now. Looks like the last couple summers of "too cold to swim" for Nothern regions are going to be canceled out this year. Been swimming for two weeks now. Will start running the solar system at night for cool down pretty soon. Try to minimize use of fountain- lose too much water with evaporation. Lose 1/4 to 1/2 inch daily even without fountain because of high winds.
I understand the people who like the pool warmer when they swim in the evening. The wind can blow pretty hard here too, and it is just so relaxing to have a nice warm "pool bath" before bed. I set mine so that it is in the lower 80's for mid-day swim (hot, hot sun) then warm up for evening swim as the sun goes down. Cannot get much cooler than lower 80's in the summer here, even with running fountain and solar system at night- too hot.
Going to really enjoy my pool this summer!

83 yesterday. 84 today. I took my first swim with the dogs early evening, yesterday. It was perfect. Air temp made it to 90 yesterday but was falling so a heavy beach towel felt really nice afterwards. Also a very unusual low wind day. If I had stayed in longer I would have become a bit chilled with water that "cool".

Before we cut down the tree, that shades the pool, a few weeks ago, it was always at least June before the water would be warm enough for me.

:party:

89 degrees now, weather is 96 deg. outsideduring the day today, currently 78 outside. Pool cover help alot, The pool never got this warm last season. Saturn solar ring is was putting out 93 deg. water yesterday afternoon. It is onnected to a T on the return pipe and diverts a small flow thru the coil (1/2" black poly)

no-mas said:
[quote="Melt In The Sun":1ardm431]...we lose about 1/2-3/4 inch a day if left uncovered....
Ouch!

Thanks -[/quote:1ardm431]

Same here as far as evaporation with lots of wind and no cover. Splash out does account for a tiny bit of mine. As summer progresses, with dogs becoming more crazy, jumping in and out much of the day, the splash-out will increase.

Air temp, yesterday upper 90's, water temp 86. Air temp over night mid 70's, lost 2 overnight so now 84. By end of week with temps 100+ water will make it to 89 or 90 probably. For me that's perfect. So I do like overnight loss. I certainly know about the wind and being wet as we very rarely have no wind. When it's still in the high 80's in early evening I have to cover up really fast, when I get out of pool, or get chilled.

This will be the first year our water temp has reached 90 so early. Until we cut the big tree down, a few weeks ago, it took to July to get the water to 90.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.