What’s this opening for?

OWSwimmer

Mar 8, 2022
TX
Have this small opening on the wall of my strainer basket and I’m not sure what its purpose is. Is it a drain? Whatever it is -is the water level correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 25
Have this small opening on the wall of my strainer basket and I’m not sure what its purpose is. Is it a drain? Whatever it is -is the water level correct?
It may be an overflow drain. Look for the other end of where that water is draining out.

Thanks. I have been looking for where water may be draining from my pool but have not been able to ever see any.
Is there a downhill slope nearby that skimmer? It might be just outside of the decking, possibly buried under stuff that collected on it

OW,

Many skimmers come with a 'knockout' plug so that the hole can be used as an overflow drain. In theory, the hole is at the right spot to keep the water level where is should be. Depending on how things are built, that may, or may not, be the case..

I use that hole as a fill line for my pool and have found that I like to fill the pool an inch or so above the hole. Since it is a fill line, I don't have to worry about it draining my pool, but I plug it anyway, just to keep the crud out, when not in use.

Only you can tell if the hole is keeping your pool at the right level.. The water level should be about the middle of the tile line. I like to start off about an inch above that, so that I have longer between fill-ups.

Some pool builders are pretty lazy and just run a pipe off the hole and into the ground.. Sigh..

Thanks,

Jim R.

OW,

Many skimmers come with a 'knockout' plug so that the hole can be used as an overflow drain. In theory, the hole is at the right spot to keep the water level where is should be. Depending on how things are built, that may, or may not, be the case..

I use that hole as a fill line for my pool and have found that I like to fill the pool an inch or so above the hole. Since it is a fill line, I don't have to worry about it draining my pool, but I plug it anyway, just to keep the crud out, when not in use.

Only you can tell if the hole is keeping your pool at the right level.. The water level should be about the middle of the tile line. I like to start off about an inch above that, so that I have longer between fill-ups.

Some pool builders are pretty lazy and just run a pipe off the hole and into the ground.. Sigh..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I looked closer and figured this out. i have two skimmers. The one pictured is blocked about an inch in. So no water coming or going. The hole in the other skimmer is the inlet for the functioning auto-fill.

Reactions: Bperry and Jimrahbe