Gold Supporter
May 31, 2023
Henderson, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am struggling to figure out what the best CYA level is for my pool, based on my current conditions.
As you can see from my log, I got CYA to 50 on 6/19 (after having a staring point of 30 and adding stabilizer)....then it raised to 60 by 7/4 (I did not not do anything raise it 60). Now today on 7/17, when I tested it is 40 (again, I did not do anything to drop it to 40).

The last week have had RECORD heat and our pool is about 86-88 degrees. Could that cause the sudden and large drop of CYA? Is it typical for CYA to change alot in the summer under these intense desert conditions? Typically, we are burning through 4-6 ppm of chlorine per day (which based on FULL SUN, heat and everything else sounds within range?)

I have stabilizer on hand and have the ability to raise the CYA...but what should I raise it to? I have read some people maintain a CYA of 70-80 when they are in desert places during the summer. But, I am getting a bit confused reading all the various responses.

As a side note...we are going away this week for 4 days (Friday-Monday)...so I plan to take the pool to shock level and add 4 pucks (that go in a holder that sinks to the bottom) and take Ph to 7.2. So, knowing what my target CYA level will be will be very helpful in this process:)

Thank you foray help you can provide

BONUS Question: Most people say that a pool will settle/stabilize Ph around 7.6-7.8. Problem is, my CH is around 850...so,that puts my CSI at .6+. I also noticed that if I keep my Ph higher (and thus don't add as much MA as frequently) my TA starts rising. So, based on all of the above conditions...I think it is a better course of action for my pool is to aim for ph 7.2-7.4 even though that means me adding more MA and more frequently. That way it keeps my TA and my CSI at a better spot.

Last edited:
Elevated water temperature and UV will degrade CYA by 10-15% per month. I lose about that. So yes, you need to test CYA monthly and add some to keep the CYA at 50 to 60 ppm.

The puck holder should not sink to the bottom. That likely would damage your plaster. Use a floating chlorinator.

Ok..perfect! Thank you for the response! Good to know the CYA loss is "normal". I will aim for 60 when I add my stabilizer.

yeah...my husband and I go back and forth on that. The pucks always lasted A LOT longer when they were "sunk" verses floating on the top. 3-7 days verses 14-21 days(something about the surface temp hotter than at the bottom of the pool?) . The Manufacture claims it does not damage the plaster. So far, the only think I noticed it is can "bleach" some areas...but since I have staining that I want to get rid of...I don't mind that side effect? But, yes this is an ongoing debate in my house:)

Last edited:
Elevated water temperature and UV will degrade CYA by 10-15% per month. I lose about that. So yes, you need to test CYA monthly and add some to keep the CYA at 50 to 60 ppm.

The puck holder should not sink to the bottom. That likely would damage your plaster. Use a floating chlorinator.
One last question...if you don't mind...since you know the history of my pool:)
This is about TA
Refill TA = 180
Worked hard to get to 100
Then it got as low as 70 (through the gradual nature process of maintaining a ph of 7.2-7.4)
Over the last few weeks it has risen slowly and it Now 90
Based on my CH = 850, would you leave TA alone at this point? Or would recommend getting it back down to 70 (using the Aeration process)? Since it seems to rise slowly (Because the fill water has a high TA).

Keep the pH in the 7's. When the pH rises to 7.8 or 8, aggressively lower it to 7.2 using acid.
Since you are using liquid chlorine, you might find floating a puck at a time, all the time, might keep your CYA more balanced and add some acid. I would check CYA every 2 weeks if you do that.

Keep the pH in the 7's. When the pH rises to 7.8 or 8, aggressively lower it to 7.2 using acid.
Since you are using liquid chlorine, you might find floating a puck at a time, all the time, might keep your CYA more balanced and add some acid. I would check CYA every 2 weeks if you do that.
Ok...perfect! So, no need to aggressively lower the TA via the aeration process right now:) Just manage it through managing Ph. I will definitely keep the puck option in mind as well:)

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.