What would you go back and put in if you had more money?

Umbrella holders would have been nice. Not too sure how much we would have used them with high winds from thunderstorms all summer but for parties they would work. A beach entry instead of the tanning ledge. The tanning ledge is 6 inches deep with steps on each side which makes getting in slowly very ackward to me. A beach slope into the water would be much smoother.

We put off the installation of our Trellis to include the following in the original build:
SWG
Mini Pebble
Umbrella sleeves: 2 in bench, 5 around the deck. Use these a lot and much more convenient and inexpensive than weighted umbrella holders.
Irridescent glass tile in the spillover
All of these added to our enjoyment of the pool

The best investment I ever made for a pool that came with a house I bought was to add an automatic pool cover - the kind where you turn a switch and a vinyl cover with tracks on the sides of the pool covers or uncovers it. Believe the brand at the time was Cover Pools from Utah - now their patent ran out and there are other brands too. Most pool heat is lost by evaporation. I could have visitors with kids or even babies - never worried about somone drowning. Needed very few pool chemicals, almost no maintenance, no dirt. Build a cedar wood bench over the roller using a 30 ft long Microlam beam for the span. Pools can be an issue when selling a house - here almost all potential buyers liked the pool with this safety feature when we sold - and recovered all costs and more. To install the cover tracks I actually had to fill in a large bumpout in this gunite pool with concrete to make the pool closer to rectangle - but it was well worth it. With the cover on at at times except when swimming or entertaining (for view) heating the pool to 80+ was easy - even free using the waste heat from the home's Central AC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool has just had the gunite, but I know a few things I'd do differently. It bugged me when I first realized I had already goofed on some things. But after thinking about, I don't think it would have been possible for me to think ahead and completely with so many decisions!

One of my favorite parts of our pool are the 7 steps with low risers. Each step is between 5.5 and 6 inches high. I can easily get in and out of the pool with my cane. BUT... I realized a few days ago, we have no returns on the steps. So time will tell if that's going to be a problem.

I hope this helps someone. Take care! Suz.

I actually Love our pool but time machine says-
More Money= A variable speed pump, A larger and deeper pool, Beach entry, slide, waterfall, more lights, some lighted laminar jets, MORE RETURN JETS( I have four but should have added at least 4 more to move the water better in certain spots)

Oops, forgot to mention a few other things..... I would have:
* a second bench on the other side of the deep end
* a larger sun shelf (ours is about 10x6')
* a small light for the steps - we're having 7 steps that spiral between the spa and sun shelf, so I'm wondering if the steps will be hard to see at night
* chosen to have our PB do the decking pavers to simplify build coordination (at the time, it seemed wise to go with a paver I already knew and knew his work)
* a gunite planter built on the back of our raised beam
* ordered our glass tiles much earlier since it takes a while to get them made and sent and then time for the thinset to cure..... UGH!
* bought a home with a guest bath off the back patio for pool guests (well, it was a little late for this once I finally decided to get a pool - like 26 years too late)

And we haven't even started swimming yet!!! I fear what else I wish I would have done differently or with more money!!! Take care! Suz.

SuzfromTexas: Suck it up and jump in! Pool was 80 in East Texas today. Wifey jumped in while I toiled in the yard with the dog grinning at me...........(worthless animal)........

LMAO!!! Woodyp, you kiddin' me?? 80 is too warm! I like it 74-76 degrees.... But I'll still love it in the 90's range.

The only problem is, I'd have to suck it up a bunch to be able to swim in the 1-2 feet of water collected in the bottom of our gunite!!! Trust me, if our pool was finished, I'd be in it - can't wait! Also, I need it for physical therapy, so I'll have to go over to a friend's pool down the street until mine is completed. Our PB is great - not his fault it's not ready yet. It took me longer than most to select tile and stone, not to mention the weeks of rain. We've had a recent break, but more rain is in the forecast here in the Houston area this coming week.

Hey! Maybe I'll just drive on up and swim with Wifey, then three of us will grin at you while you toil in the yard!!! What kind of dog do ya'll have, and was he/she swimming, too? Take care and keep working on that yard!! Suz.

Heck..........when is it NOT gonna rain for 3 or 4 days straight! Gives me a good excuse why my yard still looks like you know what though. Such plans.........such crappy weather. You're welcome any time. Dog is daughters'......I'm just currently responsible. 65 lbs. of pure mutt! Mostly a Sheltie mix though (according to a 65 dollar dna test when the daughter unit thought he was pure Australian Shepherd)--pretty beast-just digs up my yard! Tomorrow is good for us!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.