What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

Might want an overflow drain if you get a lot of rain, some auto fills have a drain built in just needs a pipe ran to where ever you want the overflow to go to. +1 on the extra conduits where ever you think you might want water, electricity or speakers especially from one side of the decking to the other.

Great question! I would allow more time between the initial decision to proceed and finalizing the plan. I would probably find a designer whose work I could go see in person and whose attitude was to get the most for your money. If need be, I would spend a bit more on landscape and pool design, before getting prices. Our SWCG is supposedly one size too big for our pool, but I would buy one that is two sizes too big!

I would choose my natural rock elements based on their resistance to salt. 18 years ago saltwater pools were not "on the radar" and my hardscape is mostly limestone. Not good for extended exposure to salt.

- - - Updated - - -

That's silly! I like your pool shape and wouldn't let some middle-schoolers influence me.

The only time that anyone has ever commented on pebbletec being rough is when we do water aerobics in the pool, and then everyone just wears water shoes. Problem solved!

Wow, really? How often are you using the pool to cause that sort of damage to your feet?

Once or twice on the weekend for about 45 minutes to an hour.

- - - Updated - - -

The only time that anyone has ever commented on pebbletec being rough is when we do water aerobics in the pool, and then everyone just wears water shoes. Problem solved!
Makes me think they over exposed our pebble when they came out to drain and acid wash.

I would have done lighted bubblers. Our pool is lit very well with the two LED lights but the tanning ledge is dark. Lighted bubblers would have been very cool.
Very cool idea.... we have a 11x7' tanning ledge with 2 bubblers. Pool is currently at the rebar stage. I'm going to ask about additional cost for lighted bubblers. Wonder what you can do for waterfall feature too? Any ideas?

.( ...........pool.......................)
.(.......................................)
.....(........( baja )............)
........(__(....*......)_____)
|
|
|
|
| ..door......windows
|_===__=========___________

.............house................

Ok I received my sunbrella for the baja/tanning ledge today, which resulted in one unintended consequence. I would change it if I could do it over. Hopefully my ASCII art above makes sense. My home is L-shaped in the backyard, with a glass door and windows facing the pool. The door is at the inside corner of the L. So we put the steps / tanning ledge in the middle of the pool, closest to the door. Makes sense, right? But, do you see that asterisk below the word "baja"? That is where the umbrella sleeve is. So as it turns out, the umbrella sort of "disects" the view of the pool from the house into right and left sides. Not aesthetically pleasing IMO. If I did it over, I would put the tanning ledge/umbrella sleeve at one end, and perhaps keep the steps in the middle where they are now. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.