What to sanitize my hot tub (190 gal) with?

Kathe

Jun 1, 2015
Saline, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My CYA was WAY to HIGH over 100! So, I emptied the spa and refilled it.

I understand that I want 20-30 CYA in my spa. It won't take long for me to use dichlor to get CYA up to that. Then what?

If I continue to use dichlor granules, the CYA will skyrocket again. Even if I empty and refill the spa every 4 months, the CYA will eventually get too high.

If I use bromine, the gasses are bad for you.

Manufacturer says I can't use compressed chlorine, so no tablets.

I could use liquid chlorine, but manufacturer says that will harm my acrylic shell and cover. What's left?

Liquid chlorine!
So long as you don’t pour it directly on the shell or cover its fine.

Once it’s mixed in the water fc is fc.
Pour it in slowly directly into the water infront of a running jet- it should mix instantly.
Here’s the guide

Reactions: Gebo
My CYA was WAY to HIGH over 100! So, I emptied the spa and refilled it.

I understand that I want 20-30 CYA in my spa. It won't take long for me to use dichlor to get CYA up to that. Then what?

If I continue to use dichlor granules, the CYA will skyrocket again. Even if I empty and refill the spa every 4 months, the CYA will eventually get too high.

If I use bromine, the gasses are bad for you.

Manufacturer says I can't use compressed chlorine, so no tablets.

I could use liquid chlorine, but manufacturer says that will harm my acrylic shell and cover. What's left?
Once liquid chlorine and dichlor are in the water the chlorine is exactly the same.

Once liquid chlorine and dichlor are in the water the chlorine is exactly the same.
So I wonder why the manufacturer doesn't want us using liquid chlorine? Also, the manual states that all chemicals should be added into the filter area. So you think it would be okay to add it in front of a running jet?

So I wonder why the manufacturer doesn't want us using liquid chlorine?
I have to assume They think every one is dumb & will pour it everywhere
Also, the manual states that all chemicals should be added into the filter area.
Don’t do this! 🚫 that’s a quick way to corrode your heater & pump!
Example #2 of they don’t know what they’re talking about
My manual says these dumb things too.
- doing this would be pouring chems directly on your shell & degrading your filter 🙄
When I initially got my tub I went against my better judgment & added dichlor directly to the skimmer as the manual instructed. A week later I went to inspect & clean my filter & in the bottom of the filter area (on the shell) there sat undissolved dichlor granules that had been sitting for who knows how long! The filter plastic was also bleached out. Dichlor is quite acidic so that is definitely not a good practice.
Many manufacturer’s manuals have antiquated recommendations.
For instance most make no mention of cya yet suggest you solely use dichlor & keep fc at 1-3ppm.
But We know that’s not going to stay sanitary for long
FC/CYA Levels
So you think it would be okay to add it in front of a running jet?
Absolutely 👍🏻 this is how most ALL chems should be added to the tub & pools for that matter.

Reactions: Newdude
I use Dichlor granules after a fresh fill until I get to about 30-40 CYA, then liquid chlorine. I check the CYA pretty much weekly, and if it drops, throw in another scoop of dichlor.
I generally top up just before we use it, and then top up again afterward so there is a residual until the next usage.

Just keep in mind, your hottub volume is small, so you will need to use a fair amount of LC to combat the relatively high concentration of people soup - 2 people in your hot tub is like having 200 in your pool....

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.