AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm working on getting the soil ready to plant several tropical plants in the area when it's not so hot. The grass behind the concrete, against the wall, is going to get ripped out. But, what should I do with this giant concrete slab? I'm thinking some kind of shade structure, maybe a pergola, but I'd love to see what other people have for inspiration. Many years ago, there was a hot tub on that slab, so it's wired for 240v, but not connected on the other end to a breaker anymore. It should be fairly cheap and trivial to have a new circuit installed for this area.

I might end up pulling those palm trees too, since they no longer stand up straight and I've had minimal success training them to grow in a direction that isn't annoying (notice the t-post). I'm not sure what I'd replace them with. Further from the pool, I plan to have two types of bamboo, several banana trees, and two mango trees. However, since the palm trees are close to the pool and currently lean over my decking, I'd want to replace them with something fairly small.

IMG20230701141611.jpg
IMG20230701141621.jpg

Last edited:
Tiki bar!
I'm thinking of something like that, at least as far as looks. Maybe a pergola with some bamboo, palm fans, or similar. I'm planting bamboo in the area, so over time I'll have some very attractive bamboo culms to use for decoration (timor black and buddha belly bamboo - look them up, they're super cool!)

If I go with a heavy-duty cedar pergola, I'd be able to attach a fan to it too, which might be nice when it's 100 degrees at 8 PM (like it is right now).

I LOVE the tiki bar idea! Or a "beach house" kind of theme. A surf board to put hooks on to hang towels from to get your started. I would have it as open as you can to help move the air from the HUGE fan you put up in there to help cool things off.

Reactions: ArtP
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.