What to do now?

Thanks - Added more muriatic acid (a LOT more - 40 oz, then 100 oz, then 82 oz!) aerating in between to bring pH back up. Did this cycle three times and finally TA has moved down to 80. When brushing (with a combo stainless/nylon brush) between aerating cycles, noticed clouds of something mostly white, maybe greyish, so assuming this is whatever the stains are that we are battling (hope it's not our fairly new plaster). It may be starting to look better...

Chlorine has been steady above 5FC even with swg off
pH at 6.8 (in middle of the acid, brush, aerate cycle - aerating will bring this up to 7.2 in a couple hours, 7.5 after a couple more.)
TA 80
CH 290
CYA 55
planning to let the pH stay low overnight - brush, then aerate, in the morning
Does this sound like a good plan to everyone? anyone? Anything we should be watching out for? Using pool calc to determine amount of acid to add.
Appreciate this feedback so much.

Re: What to do now? ascorbic acid treatment

Ascorbic acid treatment now - (actually held the vit c for longer time, tried citric acid powder, and it lifted some of the staining. And kept the chlorine puck on darker stains for 6 hours and so they are finally gone. Patience, patience.....)
FC 0, TA 90, pH7.8, CYA 80, CH 260

added polyquat 60, then taking ph down with muriatic acid according to pool calc., next will be aa, then Jacks purple sequestrant.
Following mbar's aa instructions in pool school. ( btw, LOVE THIS SITE)
We are also planning to use culater packs once stains are gone.
Will it be OK to turn on swg at 20% after treatment instead of bleach to return chlorine to acceptable level?

Another question - if stains are not lifting is it OK to add more muriatic acid to lower pH? PH is 7.2 but was at 6.8 when we succesfully tested with citric acid on a spot....so seems that it might help.

Yikes! help with cloudy water?
We are in the midst of ascorbic acid treatment and have increasingly cloudy water. Realizing that this is not unexpected after adding 10lbs of ascorbic acid (5 aa, 5 citric acid) slowly 1 lb at a time, and 2-32 oz bottles of Jacks purple, and starting swcg 2 days ago to chlorinate at 20% ,which we calculate to be 1.4ppm/hour , then bumping it up to 40% yesterday which is 2.9ppm/hour; will it be OK to add liquid chlorine? Added poly 60 before so not too worried about algae, just the cloudiness and stains.

Test results: FC 0, CC .5 (maybe .25 - very slight pink), pH 7.2, CYA 60, CH 310 (this has increased from 270 since aa began), TA 110 (this also has increased from 60; TA was 60 and pH low so aerated to raise pH , but TA went up also?!)

The cloudiness is definitely worsening and even if stains come back due to too much chlorine, we are not be able to tell! Any way to calculate how much chlorine it will take to 'neutralize' the 10 lbs of ascorbic (citric) acid?

Thank you. Would it benefit us to supplement the swg with liquid bleach - 191 oz per pool calc to get 4 FC - or would it be better to let the swg slowly raise FC - at this rate we don't have any measurable chlorine in the water but do get reading at the returns. We, of course, would like to swim the sooner the better and can't see bottom to check if stains are returning from increasing chlorine too quickly.
(Starting to question just how bad the stains were vs. this awful cloudy mess.....)

Another, or continued, concern:
The FC is still 0 on day three of balancing after the aa treatment. Diligently checking chlorine levels:
9am CC 0
1pm CC 0.5
5pm CC 1.0
I've increased the swg to 100% (which means generating 7.3 ppm per day) in order to get CC down. (I assumed more chlorine was needed to keep algae at bay and still work on the aa.)
We are afraid the battle between chlorine and aa is being lost to sun and algae (even though we added Polyquat60) because CC is increasing?. Should we supplement with bleach? Any thoughts appreciated.

Interesting. While I was posting, I left the water sample from the chlorine test on the counter, and when I returned it had turned pink again! Does that mean CC is really higher? Or does it just show that continual chlorination is needed? Too much for a rookie.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Running out of POP!! (Love that acronym) It has been 10 days and water is still cloudy. Have swg on 100% and able to maintain chlorine level FC between 2-3.8 and CC is at .2 Have had to add muriatic acid to keep pH at 7.2
Just need some reassurance to stay the course.

I am very late to interject into this thread but I would never attempt to clear a pool with only the SWG. I would use chlorine only at slightly elevated levels and probably shut the SWG off until the pool was clear.

We've been wondering that same thing - but why? What would be the 'slightly elevated levels'?
If your pool is unchanged for several days, you must change what you are doing....it isn't getting it.

I am assuming you are brushin every day, cleaning/backwashing your filter as needed and running the pump 24/7, is that correct?

If so, about the only thing left is to give it a "jolt" of chlorine....something the SWG isn't capable of. I would elevate the chlorine 25-50% above maintenance levels for your CYA and see what happens.

Sorry - may have been misleading - still cloudy but less so. At first, could not see 3" into water, now can see third step at 2-3 feet down.
Really just want to know a time frame. We would have considered putting off the aa treatment if it was going to take the pool out for this long (have a limited season here). Maybe that was mentioned but as a newbie I missed it.

Yes to brushing (good for the arms!), backwashing when needed, and running pump 'round the clock.

CYA is around 50 and we are currently at 4.5 FC so what would be the maximum FC level to speed up the process but not be aproaching shock level in order to keep the stains from coming back? (If they are gone, that is. Haven't seen the bottom in days......)

With those numbers you are not very likely to precipitate out any more stains but, to be safe, I would elevate chlorine to about 6ppm, hold it there by replenishing maybe 3 times daily, and see what that does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.