What to do if no pump for a week?

nidamer

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2016
Toronto/Ontario/Canada
Hi all,

My pool pump broke down two days ago and I will not be able to put in the new pump in till another 5 days. The old pump can not start at all so I can not run it at all.

Is there anything I can do to slow down how bad the water will get by the time the new pump is in place?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

I use liquid chlorine and I usually add it in close to the outlet so it gets spread into the water but that requires the pool pump to be running. Brushing will probably do some mixing but I can only do it once a day in the evenings so not sure if that will be enough. I was also warned that adding the chlorine in the still water will cause the chlorine to damage the liner in areas where it stays concentrated after I add it in. Any thoughts?

I have a sump pump that I pump my winter cover off with. I have used it to circulate water in my pool before it was officially open in the spring. You have to connect a long hose to it so it won't spin underwater, but I was able to position the hose and tie it to my top rail so the water circulated like normal. It saved my you know what this spring since it took longer than normal to get water delivered.

So scoop up a bucket of pool water, add the bleach, mix, and then sling it across the surface. It'll be well-diluted and if you get it there with the brush and set up some cross currents it won;t settle in one spot to bleach the liner.

Face it -- it'll be a lot less harsh than holding it at shock level for several days if you get algae.

If you have maintained your chemicals correctly and if you do not have excessively hot temps in your area, you could go for 5 days without the pump running and still have decent water. It's all about how well you maintain your pool water.

ps0303, my water chemistry was excellent all the way till the pump broke down during Thursday night a couple of days back. Are you saying if so, the water should hold up until next Friday without doing anything? I'd rather do that and then SlAM it for a few days next weekend. Let me know, please.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.