Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just recently opened the outdoor pool at our HOA and I am noticing a lot of air in the system. I can see air bubbles coming from several of the jets (in shallow end of pool) and each time I check the equipment I am bleeding lots of air from the two large filters. Should I be concerned about this and ask the the pool company to locate and correct the air leak or is this not something to be too concerned about? Also, can an air leak increase the pH of the water over time.... kinda like aerating the pool?

Thanks for any guidance about what to do about this air leak. :scratch:

We just recently opened the outdoor pool at our HOA and I am noticing a lot of air in the system. I can see air bubbles coming from several of the jets (in shallow end of pool) and each time I check the equipment I am bleeding lots of air from the two large filters. Should I be concerned about this and ask the the pool company to locate and correct the air leak or is this not something to be too concerned about? Also, can an air leak increase the pH of the water over time.... kinda like aerating the pool?

Thanks for any guidance about what to do about this air leak. :scratch:
Sounds like a suction side leak (before the pump). You should find it and repair, or have a pool company repair.

Do you have pumps with clear lids? What does it look like when it is running?

Maybe post some pictures of the equipment and we may be able to help you find it.

Yes, it will cause a pH rise.

Sounds like a suction side leak (before the pump). You should find it and repair, or have a pool company repair.

Do you have pumps with clear lids? What does it look like when it is running?

Maybe post some pictures of the equipment and we may be able to help you find it.

Yes, it will cause a pH rise.
Unfortunately, no clear lid. It is a rather old pump, but I'm told it's a workhorse! I will take some pics/videos and post them shortly. Thanks.

Can you run a water hose over the pump basket lid, suction side connections, etc? With pump running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have a significant suction side air leak. The water would seal it while it runs over the spot with the leak.

Other methods are to wrap areas of concern with plastic wrap.

Think I might leave this one to the pool company to locate and resolve. There is a significant amount of plumbing underneath the main equipment room in what we call the "pit". I may try the water test, but beyond that will probably leave it to the pool company to figure out.

What are the most likely spots for an air leak?

Thanks.

You may have 2 leaks......one one the suction side and another on the pressure side, The suction side will be hard to find so I'd let a pro find them both

What is your psi (pump running)?

What kind of potential damage can an unresolved air leak cause?

Also.... I mostly see air bubbles coming from the returns in the shallow end of the pool.... no bubbles from the returns in the deep end. Does that tell me anything?

Finally... I reviewed a video about water testing for air leaks on TFP. However, we have a solid cover on our pump. I'm guessing that makes the water testing (as well as other testing methods) a little more challenging because you can't see the inside of the pump. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
So..... this is what I have done so far. I'm not seeing as many air bubbles coming through the return, but I still see some air getting into the filter. Maybe not quite as much as it was, but still sucking air from somewhere. Thoughts?

IMG_4690.jpg

Start taking the wrap off of each suspect area at a time. When the bubbles increase, that is your likely culprit. Hopefully working on that will resolve the entire problem.

Reactions: JPMorgan
A suction side air leak interupts the smooth flow of water into your pool. Mostly, it damages your wallet...........cutting your pump efficiency wa-a-a-y down.

I have heard that it may (long term) damage the pump volute as well...........cutting it's effectiveness, too.

Reactions: JPMorgan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.