Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hi. Our pump died at the end of last season (or so I assume because we couldn’t get the pool to start and tried every method that has ever worked). I am going to invest in a new one but I’m not sure which size to get. I don’t know that the one we currently have is large enough.

We have saltwater pool that runs 24hr a day. Our pool is downhill from the pump at quite a steep decline (see attached picture. Pump location is circled and I’m standing at skimmerIMG_9157.jpeg). It takes a lot to start it. We have to use a plumbing bladder and hose to get it primed, so it takes two people to start it. We have looked into moving the pump closer to the pool but can’t find anyone to do the work.

There is currently a Pentair Superflo single speed 1.5 hp there. It lasted only 5 seasons.

What speed should we get to efficiently move the water up that hill which is at least a height differential of 7 feet and probably 25-30 yards away.

Thanks for any advice!

I suggest you get the Pentair Intelliflo3.

The manual says it can handle up to 10 feet above water level...

1714342730225.png

@mas985 may have thoughts.

We have to use a plumbing bladder and hose to get it primed, so it takes two people to start it. We have looked into moving the pump closer to the pool but can’t find anyone to do the work.
Not surprising at that elevation. Almost any pump is going to be a challenge to prime although the larger the pump, the higher the suction and the more easily it will prime. Having valves on the suction side and return side of the pump would help as well.

There is currently a Pentair Superflo single speed 1.5 hp there. It lasted only 5 seasons.

What speed should we get to efficiently move the water up that hill which is at least a height differential of 7 feet and probably 25-30 yards away.
For that elevation, priming should be done at full speed. But just so you understand, efficiency has little to do with the elevation. The energy required to lift the water is offset when the water falls back to the pool. Priming is pretty much the only issue you are going to face. Once the pump is fully primed, any speed should work just fine.

The Intelliflo3 is a good choice but do you have an equipment controller because that can make a difference?

Not surprising at that elevation. Almost any pump is going to be a challenge to prime although the larger the pump, the higher the suction and the more easily it will prime. Having valves on the suction side and return side of the pump would help as well.

For that elevation, priming should be done at full speed. But just so you understand, efficiency has little to do with the elevation. The energy required to lift the water is offset when the water falls back to the pool. Priming is pretty much the only issue you are going to face. Once the pump is fully primed, any speed should work just fine.

The Intelliflo3 is a good choice but do you have an equipment controller because that can make a difference?
What do you mean by an equipment controller?

An equipment controller is an electronic box that has a display unit with several buttons that are used to turn on and off pumps, pool lights, yard lights, and valves.

An equipment controller is an electronic box that has a display unit with several buttons that are used to turn on and off pumps, pool lights, yard lights, and valves.
No we don’t have that. All we have is a switch for the pump and then the box for the SWG.

No we don’t have that. All we have is a switch for the pump and then the box for the SWG.
If we get that pump you suggested, would we need to buy the equipment controller? Is the pump something we could install ourselves or do we need a professional to come out and do it?

The Intelliflo3 has a built in controller so you can set internal timers for run time and it does not require a separate controller. Also, you do not want to connect this pump to a separate "mechanical" timer. The pump should always have power to it.

The only reason I asked if you had a controller is that you would of wanted to pair that with a compatible pump. In your case, it does not matter.

The Intelliflo3 has a built in controller so you can set internal timers for run time and it does not require a separate controller. Also, you do not want to connect this pump to a separate "mechanical" timer. The pump should always have power to it.

The only reason I asked if you had a controller is that you would of wanted to pair that with a compatible pump. In your case, it does not matter.
So I was once told by the pool person that we had to continuously run our pump...I'm not sure if it's because there is such a large rise from the pool to the pump or because it's so far from the pool OR because it's a SWG and needs to continuously be producing to sanitize. Is that not true?

While doing some other research, I saw that I now have to buy a VS pump since it's over 1HP. If I have a single speed and am switching to the VS, which it seems like I have to, is that something we can install ourselves or do we need a professional to come out and do it? We are decently handy, but if it has anything to do with complicated wiring, we are probably out of the running for DIY.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I was once told by the pool person that we had to continuously run our pump...I'm not sure if it's because there is such a large rise from the pool to the pump or because it's so far from the pool OR because it's a SWG and needs to continuously be producing to sanitize. Is that not true?
Your SWG is way undersized and that maybe the issue here. A 17k pool should have a T-15 cell and not a T-3 cell. But with a VS pump, running on lower speeds 24/7 is not very expensive. But once this cell fails, consider going with a T-15 instead. Over the long run, it will be much more cost effective.

While doing some other research, I saw that I now have to buy a VS pump since it's over 1HP. If I have a single speed and am switching to the VS, which it seems like I have to, is that something we can install ourselves or do we need a professional to come out and do it? We are decently handy, but if it has anything to do with complicated wiring, we are probably out of the running for DIY.
Skill sets needed:

PVC plumbing & welding (aka gluing) experience
Electrical mains wiring & safety experience

The experience doesn't necessarily have to be with pool equipment. Any type of plumbing/electrical work is applicable. But if you have never done any type of work close to this, then I would consider a professional.

Your SWG is way undersized and that maybe the issue here. A 17k pool should have a T-15 cell and not a T-3 cell. But with a VS pump, running on lower speeds 24/7 is not very expensive. But once this cell fails, consider going with a T-15 instead. Over the long run, it will be much more cost effective.

Skill sets needed:

PVC plumbing & welding (aka gluing) experience
Electrical mains wiring & safety experience

The experience doesn't necessarily have to be with pool equipment. Any type of plumbing/electrical work is applicable. But if you have never done any type of work close to this, then I would consider a professional.
The welding we could do. Definitely nothing to do with electrical!

The welding we could do. Definitely nothing to do with electrical!
Also, I did buy a new SWG last year, T-15, for when our current one fails. So far, the other one is still going strong! I may just install the new one at the beginning and start fresh since the other one is very old. Thank you for catching that!